Going broody or normal?

lynxs1981

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
I have a EE hen who has been hanging around the nest boxes. This morning I found her in the nest box, laying as usual. One of my other girls laid en egg, and just out of curiosity I stuck it in the box with the first girl. She pecked it, then pushed it under her. Is this a sign of possibly becoming broody or is it normal behavior?

Well, you kind of have to just wait and see. If she sort of puffs up and growls at you when you get near, that's a definite sign of being broody. If she sets on the nest constantly, and doesn't want to get off, except maybe once or twice a day to eat and poo, then she is definitely a broody.

one of mine is going broody...our first time..
smile.png

how long will they sit on the eggs?

Most hens will accept other eggs (at least mine will) even if they're not broody, so it is normal. Signs of full blown broodiness are as described by chicmom.
How long they sit annie, can vary. If they have eggs to hatch and are truly broody, they'll sit until the eggs hatch. Some "dabble" in going broody, and may sit for a few days and then decide "nawww...guess not." Others may sit on eggs for far longer than 20 some odd days it takes to hatch eggs, on a golf ball or even on nothing at all if you've removed the eggs...
hu.gif

That explains how one of my girls is acting. Just what I was searching for, thank you. These are our our first chickens so i don't know what broody means. Could you please explain or maybe give me a link to look up?
Thanks Mel:D

Quote:
Brooding is still possible (not affected by rooster or no rooster) but hatching is not possible since the eggs are not fertile. You would have to get some fertile eggs for her to hatch.

"Broody" - think "clutch of eggs" and "brood of chicks" and "brooding" as in sitting quietly and in contemplation, because broody hens sit in a near-trance whilst they are broody.

Webster's Dictionary actually describes it well: "being in a state of readiness to brood eggs, that is characterized by cessation of laying and by marked changes in behavior and physiology."

Hens go broody with or without roosters AND/or eggs! Some will brood on golf balls, or roundish rocks or even nothing at all. It's hormonal. I liked that Webster's bit: "a state of readiness," because it's so true - hens can be broody without the possibility of hatching anything. They're just READY to hatch eggs. So ready they often won't stop until they hatch something.

Back
Top Bottom