Going broody while on antibiotics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SparrowSong, Nov 20, 2013.

1. SparrowSong

SparrowSong Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    (Sigh) I'm dealing with what I think is CRD in my small flock, giving antibiotic injections, and now one of my hens might be going broody. I went to check on her tonight and she's on the nest instead of the roost, fluffed up with an egg under her, and when my son went to touch her, she fluffed up at him and trilled and refused to move. She did this several times.

What terrible timing! LOL

How can we break her of this quickly and still encourage the hens to lay in the nesting boxes? (which are plastic tubs filled with bedding.)

Thanks!

2. SparrowSong

May 20, 2013
    This morning she was still sitting on the nest, aggravated at us and trilling in a threatening way to get us away from her. We took her out of the box, gave all the chickens today's dose of antibiotics, and put them out of the pen to free range. I closed the pen up so she can't get back to her box today. (Although they free range during the day, there are tons of places to hide from predators, and also to hide and sit on imaginary eggs.) I hope this works. They will all go back in the pen tonight, so we'll see.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There are several break-a-broody threads here. Basically, she needs to be kept off anything that can be a nest. Lots of folks use a wire cage and elevate it somewhat to allow cool airflow under the bird as the heat under her body helps trigger the broody hormones. It takes around 3-5 days for most birds to be broke this way.

4. SparrowSong

May 20, 2013
    Thank you Donrae!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by