Going broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by collickchickens, Nov 4, 2016.

1. collickchickens

collickchickens New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    Northern Michigan
    We have a silkie hen that is just 6 mths old she is always sitting in the nesting box it seems. She still laying an egg per day but she sits on the egg(s) until we take them and at times sits on an empty nest. Going Brody or just likes sitting?

2. capnmoby

capnmoby Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2016
    Payson, UT
    Sorry, not an answer, but I have a Black Cochin doing the same thing.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

She's a silkie, so she's likely practicing being broody. Since she's still laying, she's not committed.....yet. It's probably just a matter of time, though. If you want her to go broody, allow a clutch to develop and tempt her that way. If you don't want her to go broody, now would be the time to invest in a broody breaker cage and start using it.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is she going to roost at night?
    Is she sitting all day long?

Some of mine seem to like to lounge and relax before and after laying, other are in lay and out-done.

5. collickchickens

collickchickens New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    Northern Michigan
    What is a broody breaker cage?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop and I would feed her some crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day(you don't have to) and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.
    Water nipple bottle added after pic was taken.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by