Going Broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GuineaLady93, Aug 15, 2011.

1. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Can you make a hen go broody? Or how does it work? Like my RIR is laying one egg each morning in the same spot, I have been getting the eggs each day. If I add about 15 or 20 eggs to her nest will she sit on them??
    Thanks,
    Ashley

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    You can't make a hen go broody, but if you have one that you know is prone to broodiness you could probably encourage it by giving her some eggs to sit on. Your hen doesn't sound broody, just normal. Most of my hens all have their favourite places to lay, but they only sit around for maybe half an hour at a time, apart from one loud old witch who sits cackling at top volume for ninety minutes each day. Any longer than that, and you can suspect broodiness...

Oh, and 15-20 eggs is a bit much to expect a hen to cover. A dozen at most would be reasonable...

3. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Ok thanks.

4. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    RIR's are not known for broodiness, (but neither are red sex links and I've had 2 of them go broody this summer). With 18 chickens, someone is bound to want to be a mama eventually. How old are your girls?

5. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Quote:I got my 4 RIR hens from a auction so I don't know how old they are. I don't think they are too old. My Buff Orpingtons are 1 and then I have some 5 month old game mix.

6. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Got any Silkies? They're broody all the time. The games might go for it. Bit young though.

7. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Quote:No I don't, but I have been thinking about getting some.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If you leave her eggs in the nest she may go broody. Just don't give her too many. About a dozen should be enough. Mark the eggs so you know which ones are fresh. A friend of mine does this. He leaves the eggs and removes the fresh ones after a few days, when the hen goes broody he sometimes removes the old eggs and give her fresh ones. I've had a hen lay up to 13 eggs over 15 days and hatch every single one of them. But eggs over two weeks old may be a bit too old for hatching.
    Good luck!

9. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    I put the eggs in one of my Buff Orpingtons nests and she was looking and looking at them then she went in like she was going to sit on them. keep your fingers crossed!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Fingers crossed! It may take them awhile to get the hint.
    One of my hens went broody today and is sitting on eggs now. I'm so exited! I love it when they hatch chicks.
    Keep us posted, hey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by