going crazy trying to find the best cure for bumblefoot.... need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gameboygal12, Aug 11, 2010.

1. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Songster

Feb 24, 2010
    ok so I have 4 birds badly infected with bumblefoot. and I'm going crazy trying to find the best and accurate cure for it! mt mom doesn't want me to "pull the plug" on the bottom of the foot because she's afraid the puss could infect me (even when I sugest wearing gloves) I heard that I could use amoxicillin, but I can't find anywhere to buy it online. and I heard of tricide neo, but it's really expensive. and I heard of the epsom salt soak without cutting their foot. please help me know what to do!!! going mad here!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010

2. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Songster

Feb 24, 2010
    seriously...need help

3. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Songster

Feb 24, 2010
    Quote:thank you! [​IMG]

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Songster

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Perhaps your mom or another adult can take care of the problem if she doesn't want you to do it? They can take all of the precautions. I'm sure she doesn't really want your birds to suffer, she just wants to keep you healthy as mom's are supposed to. [​IMG]

If you absolutely cannot have anyone do the procedure you can at least soak their feet and give injectable Penicillin G (not Procaine Pen G) to see if that helps. It is give by weight and an average standard sized hen can get about 1/4 cc (.25 cc ) once daily for up to 7 days.

5. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Songster

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    If you have an avian vet in your area, give them a call. If not, try to find someone who can prescribe silvadene cream, it will work wonders on the feet. Soak the feet in iodine and water (make it like an ice tea color) for 3-5 minutes. Use warm water. Apply a generous amount of cream to the infected foot. Use gauze and vet wrap to make a "band aid" on the foot. Wrap it well, you want lots of padding on that tender foot; it works well if you make a little X between the toes. Do this 2 times a day, once is OK, but twice is the best.

Should take 2-3 weeks to clear up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by