going cukoo for cluckers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BlueBirdChick, Jan 10, 2011.

1. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    Does anyone else out there just get so overwhelmed on what to do about their chickens that it makes you stress out?? Ive got a dilema I was told that my two american dominique chicks were boys but I wont find out until they get a little older. To me they look like pullets but I could be wrong. Ive already got two cockrels and I just don't know if I want two more.
    Nothing wrong with these little guys Im just afraid that people here in town will get mad if they hear four roosters crowing [​IMG] .. Im beside myself going what to do what to do what to do what to do.

I think I need to step back from the whole raising chicken thing and just breathe and stop for awhile. Before I totally and utterly lose my mind anymore. Anyone else feel this way?? I think we need to meet and talk to each other and let each other know that hey youre not alone.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    take a breath. it will work out in the end one way or the other.

Its really not possible to tell what sex the birds are until they start to develop. for me the easiest/earliest way is to run the ankles where the spurs will be. Cockrels will start to get a bud there. But thats not fool proof. I had a silkie roo sneak in w/o any spurs until he was much older.

As far as the neighbors - just talk to them. maybe they are OK with it. I know my neighbors liked the idea of a rooster crowing (but not too close to their house). So maybe they won't mind.

If they do - there are plenty of people on here who would gladly take an extra off your hands. I know I could use a good roo right now. I had a coyote eat mine 2 weeks ago. Now I'm rooless!

3. BlueBirdChick

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    [​IMG]
    thank you [​IMG] I wish you lived closer Id say come get them all lol.

4. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    My new order of chicks is supposed to be pullets but some roo's may be packed in for warmth during shipment. If I get more than 2 I will probably grow them out for meat birds. Not the only option, but one I am comfortable with.

5. BlueBirdChick

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    yeah I understand [​IMG] just didnt want to cause they are dominiques . I dont know I might just keep them and then when I get those 15 pullets i might put them in there with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by