Going into lock down -- UPDATE Humidity dropped to 45% - Oh crap!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JulieZ, Aug 9, 2010.

1. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    I'm to be in lock down by 4:30pm today. (Based on time I put eggs in on 7/22) I've had no issues with humidity but suddenly I can not get it to go higher than 50%. I've added water, sponges, the temperature is perfect, the A/C vent in the room is closed off, I put a quilt over the curtains/window & the house is 78*. What else can I do?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010

2. What are you using to measure the humidity? Are you using more than one device to measure humidity??

3. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    I put another in & it was reading 1 or 2 degrees less. I do have it up to 70 right now & hopefully it will climb some more because there is nothing like duct tape to get a job done. I taped corners, sides & the plexiglass on top. Any place I thought humidity could flow from, it was taped. Then my temperatures spiked quickly to 102 so I pulled back the lamp & it now sits at 100.9. You can bet I'm going no where today. I'm on the home stretch & I've lost too much to leave now. [​IMG]

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I put a papertowel down over the wire and have folded ones in the water channels, so the water wicks up into the one on the wire. It works perfectly for me.

5. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Also, you NEED to have airflow, so don't tape it all up- the air must keep going in the holes so the oxygenation remains good. You'll just want to have a wet cloth or something on the wire.

6. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Quote:TY ... off to remove tape, add wet paper towel. I'm starting to understand the nervous wreck comment I see all over the boards.

7. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] It's maddening how it can make a person SO ATTENTIVE!!

I've hatched no less than 500 at this point, so I'm well versed. It make a girl crazy, though!

8. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Tape gone except on very corners (mine is homemade 10 gallon tank/has fan inside) where there are some small gaps, added paper towel & it shot up to 72 !!! Come on paper towel !!! [​IMG]

9. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    75 !!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Woohoo!! Works for me.

You just don't want to get too much in contact with the egg- just where it sits is fine, but no drenching the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by