Going into lockdown 12 hours early due to cracked eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Trinitydraco, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Trinitydraco

Trinitydraco Songster

Jul 6, 2018
    Vermont
    So I have 3 cats...I bet we can see what happened here! Yup, they were racing around and even though I keep my incubator well out of the way and tucked back they still managed to hit it. 2 eggs knocked into each other and cracked. It is half way through day 17 and even though I tried to repair the eggs with nail polish, one of them was cracked in such a way that some of the membrane was still going to be exposed so into early lockdown we go! I candled them and one of the cracked eggs is alive and kicking and the other is a Maran egg so I can't see squat! Either way, I have done all I can for my 9 little survivors and now only time will tell. I will let you know when the fun begins!

2. Trinitydraco

Trinitydraco Songster

Jul 6, 2018
    Vermont
    it's day 20 and 2 have pipped! EEEEEEE:wee

HenniesInMyHeart likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Either of the pippers happen to be the cracked ones?

4. Trinitydraco

Trinitydraco Songster

Jul 6, 2018
    Vermont
    Not yet but I know that one of them was alive as of yesterday. I am keeping an eye on it incase the crack cause the membrane to dry out. Mostly I am just trying to be patient and not "help".

5. Jbently28

Jbently28 Chirping

May 7, 2018
    Don't give up hope just yet. I had an egg that cracked on day 16. I repaired it with packing tape and it hatched with no problems 3 days ago. Keeping my fingers crossed for you :fl

6. Sphynxmama

Sphynxmama In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2018
    I also had a badly cracked egg on day 12-15 ( not totally sure as hen was hatching them) fixed it with candle wax and it hatched with no problems. He’s now a happy, healthy year old rooster!

7. Trinitydraco

Trinitydraco Songster

Jul 6, 2018
    Vermont
    At least one of the cracked eggs has made it! It's hatching as we speak! 2 chicks are already out and one of the cracked eggs plus one of the others has pipped! YES! it is early on day 21 so I won't have the final verdict for 2 days but so far so good on my first hatch. So YES a cracked egg CAN be saved!
    chick2.jpg Chick1.jpg

Rebel58 likes this.
  8. Trinitydraco

Trinitydraco Songster

Jul 6, 2018
    Vermont
    Okay here is the final count. 7 out of 9 eggs have made it and BOTH the cracked eggs have hatched! So if anyone is panicking over cracked eggs or early lockdown I have had success here! Wooohoo!

Rebel58 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: