Going Into Lockdown Tomorrow - Please Help With Final Concerns

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chayton, Nov 21, 2009.

1. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    This is our first hatch and tomorrow is lockdown Sunday and I have a couple of questions I need help with
    1. do I scatter the eggs around the incubator and allow as much room as possible between eggs or do I bunch them up close like a nest might be?
    2. Do I try and prop the eggs up so the large end is higher than smaller end or leave them lying normal?
    3. I know I need to raise the humidity to 65% or close as I can get, should I increse the ventilation of fresh air if I can without sacrificing humidity?
    4. Do I remove chicks after they are dry or wait until all eggs that are going to hatch finish then remove all chicks and place them in brooder?

I am probably making this harder than I should but I want to give these little ones every chance I can.

Thanks in advance for all your help

2. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    This is our first hatch and tomorrow is lockdown Sunday and I have a couple of questions I need help with
    1. do I scatter the eggs around the incubator and allow as much room as possible between eggs or do I bunch them up close like a nest might be?
    2. Do I try and prop the eggs up so the large end is higher than smaller end or leave them lying normal?
    3. I know I need to raise the humidity to 65% or close as I can get, should I increse the ventilation of fresh air if I can without sacrificing humidity?
    4. Do I remove chicks after they are dry or wait until all eggs that are going to hatch finish then remove all chicks and place them in brooder?

I am probably making this harder than I should but I want to give these little ones every chance I can.

Thanks in advance for all your help

I think they say it is best for them not to touch. Just lay them on their sides. There is a wonderful post on here about ventilation so I always try to give as much as possible without losing too much humidity. DO NOT OPEN the incubator until around 48 hours and all are hatched.​

3. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    Forgot to say GOOD LUCK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by