going into the coop at night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Marion565, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Marion565

Marion565 Chillin' With My Peeps

My 5 week old babies have started to go into the coop at night all by themselfs. I am proud and reliefed, since my big girls could not figure it out till they were about 3 month old and I had to gather them up every night and put them in there one by one. [​IMG]

2. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice to know my 5 week old girls are not the only ones to not have a clue. It seems funny that they go in and out of the coop all day but when it comes time for them to go inside to sleep they just huddle together outside the pop door. So far I have been going out, reaching out the pop door and retrieving them one by one inside the coop. Once in with the door shut they snuggle around in the shavings and go to sleep. I hope they will learn soon. This nightly ritual is getting to be a bad habit. My sister said to just let them stay outside (in the run of course) and that they will learn on their own but I'm not so sure. We are in the desert so the night time temps are still in the upper 70's to low 80's so temperatures are not a problem. I just think they should be inside where the roost and food is. What crazy birds!

BTW I have two sons that live in the Tyler area. Lot of chickens in their flock.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tonight, was the first time, all 11 of my 11 week old Ameraucanas found the coop w/out help... I came home last night to 4 that were out in the pitch dark, soaked to the bone.... I dried them off and put them in there...Tonight, I watched all of them one by one go up the ramp and to the coop.. It was like Christmas..

4. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Congrats on your babies finding their home all alone. I just came in from outside and the girls are all huddled up outside the pop door beside the ramp cooing getting ready for sleepy time. I just left them to themselves. We aren't expecting rain and since it is still so hot here (105 today) they might just appreciate the cooler evening air. I guess all things in good time! They will catch on eventually I guess. Thanks for your replies. I'm encouraged!

5. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    My chicks are between 6 and 8 weeks. Tonight is their third night in the coop, and they finally remembered how to go in the coop by themselves. I went out there tonight just before dark and they were all insight snuggling together. The two previous nights they just sat out there squawking like they had been abandoned. This morning they also knew to come out by themselves. I'm a proud papa.

6. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Thats good news. My girls have always went in on their own each night until yesterday...one BR did not come in. She was at my door this morning so I thought she just missed the door closing and was hiding somewhere or even worse....when I went to lock them up for the night tonight...no Petunia again ;(

7. Marion565

Quote:My first flock ( they are 22 weeks old now) did not go into that coop by themselfs till they were 4 month old. I think the reason why the little ones have it figured out is because they see the big ones doing it.

8. Marion565

Quote:Did Petunia come home?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by