Going nuts about duck egg that won't hatch!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Black Feather, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Ok, I have a duck egg in the incubator that for all intensive purposes I think should be hatching anytime now.....but it's not even pipped. I candle the egg and sure enough I see movement and the air sack is quite large....almost half the egg.

I have next to no experience with hatching duck eggs.....is this normal?

UC

2. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    What type of egg is it & how long has it been in there? If you see movement all is well. The duckling will internally pip where you can see the bill sticking up into the air cell, then about 24-48 hours later they'll externally pip & then will begin to hatch. Usually after external pip it takes approximately 24 hours for them to hatch completely.

Mallard derivs generally take 28 days (give or take, depending on temperature & a few other variables), Muscovy take on average 35 days.

3. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    This little guy/gal is a Black East Indy and I'm afraid I don't know how long the egg has been incubated. I took the egg away from the duck because I thought she had abandoned the nest and put it in the incubator for the final duration of the incubation. I'm not sure when she had started to set, so I don't have an exact date. The little one did get cranky when I put the light to the egg and was moving around.....keeping my fingers crossed that it'll hatch!!

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    you can quit messing with it any time now and just wait it out..

5. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    I hardly consider checking it every two days "messing with it".

6. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hi i will check mine later tonight and look i have rouen eggs in bator they are at day 18 I will see what the air sack looks like i will try to take a pic so maybe you can get a idea of the days it might be.

Starry

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I do.

8. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    Quote:I do.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

I'm hardly new to hatching or handling eggs, just not ducks. A chicken egg with an air cell the size of this duck egg would have been dead, but that is not the case with this egg....so I was simply wondering what normal for a duck would be. I don't like leaving dead eggs in the incubator hence checking it a little more often.

Thanks ɱůşçōvý! I believe this little guy is now in the second stage of hatching and if all goes well should be out in the next 24-48 hours.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    hey urban coyote do you live in N.S.

10. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    Quote:Yup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by