Going on 4 months, no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whitewinterwolf, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Again I am having a problem with my buff orphingtons.
    My EE and the Golden Laced Whyandotte lay every day on Que, but these guys have completely stopped?
    What should I be doing or looking for?
    They arent even a full year old yet??

I should add that they don't seem to be molting, nothing stressful has happened recently, food is always available, they get grass, and no parasites. [​IMG]
    Could it be my roosters fault for breeding them???

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I dont know about it being the roo's fault for breeding them, unless he's stressing them out.
    What is your roo/hen ratio?
    As for parasites, are you covering the internal as well as external?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    The majority of chickens do not lay 12 months out of the year. It's very demanding of their bodies, and they do tend to take a break for a few months - that's mother nature's way of letting them recuperate and prepare for the next round of egg laying. I suspect that, due to the diminishing daylight hours, that's all that's happening here.

Some folks add artificial light to "lengthen" the daylight to get around this; I personally do not recommend that. Again, they need a break once in awhile.

4. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I have 9 girls one roo, and were getting a few more in the spring since we lost some when we ordered them.
    I think we have? We used that drop on ivermecton.

5. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh ok, I hope thats what happening, I would rather that then they be sick [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by