Going on 8 months still no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tpeila, Sep 22, 2011.

1. tpeila

tpeila Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    University Place, WA
    Do different breeds start laying at different times? Our White Leghorn has been laying for over a month, but the barred rock, RIR, Golden Sexlink and Aracana have still not started laying. I do know there is a rat in the laurel bushes near their run I am going to have to get rid of. Maybe it is stressing them out?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi tpelia

Not only will different breeds start laying at different times, but different individuals within the breeds will lay at different times, and the information that we get about when breeds begin is general and averaged.

That being said---8-months is pretty late for the averages. It would be a good idea to check them carefully for any signs of parasites, and remove stresses. Do they appear ready to lay? Red combs, interest in where the nest box is ---etc.? Make sure that they don't have any parasites. Of course if you free range them, they could be laying the eggs in a place as yet you have not discovered.

3. tpeila

Jul 19, 2010
    University Place, WA
    Well they do have small red combs. And they have been sleeping in the nest boxes instead of the roost recently so they know where they are. They just poop in them instead of lay eggs in them. They "Free range" is only 10' a 20' and I look everyday to make sure they have not buried them somewhere. I cannot "See" any parasites or bugs on them. I will just have to bkeep being patient!

4. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    When you pick them up, do their chests feel cushy or bony? If they feel bony, they could have worms. Do you have oyster shell out for them? They could be laying soft eggs and then eating them because they bust easily. Sometimes they come into maturity during a particularly hot or cold season and they may start laying later. If its really hot where you live you can put up a fan in the coop. I have one mounted on the outside of the coop, behind the wire, so they cant get hurt. If they're spending a lot of time in the covered coop instead of in the run, they could be trying to cool off. Hope they start laying for you soon [​IMG]

5. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    One thing, don't let them sleep in the nest boxes. Fill the nest boxes with crumpled up newspapers or something every night so they can't get in, and place the hens on the roost. They won't lay eggs in pooped-up nests! Also, you could make the nest boxes more inviting for egg-laying - put up a little curtain for dark privacy or something. Then don't forget to take the papers out in the mornings! If the rat hasn't gotten their eggs, they should be laying soon!

6. tpeila

Jul 19, 2010
    University Place, WA
    I think I will have to try the newspaper thing tonight. Not sure why all of a sudden they are not sleeping on the roost. Happened while we were on vacation and we had family looking after them.

7. tpeila

Jul 19, 2010
    University Place, WA
    Quote:Their boxes are removeable should I just REMOVE them at night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by