going on holiday what to do with poultry

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by borrow53, Jan 13, 2013.

1. borrow53

borrow53 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    england
    hi every one,
    i have a small flock of 12 chickens, who live in a large garden enclosure, and i was wondering what people do with their poultry when they go on holiday. i normally go on holiday for about 3 - 4 weeks in the summer. so im not sure what to do with my flock, any one with any advice or suggestions?
    thanks.

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Do you have any nice neighbors or family close by? When i go away I will have my neighbor look after my girls.

3. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    We are fortunate to have a great family keep an eye on our girls while we're away for a few days. 3-4 weeks is a pretty long time, though.

Do you have a trusted neighbor that might like some fresh eggs and would keep an eye on them?

4. borrow53

Jan 6, 2013
    england
    i do have one neighbour that would maybe look after them, but im not sure if he would be willing to get up in the mornings to let them out, i was considering leaving thier coop doors open so he wouldnt have to wake up early to let them out? not sure about foxs though

5. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Maybe make plans to make the coop and enclosed run completely predator proof. That will make it a lot easier for whoever you get to take care of them, and will also ensure their safety.

6. borrow53

Jan 6, 2013
    england
    yeah we probably will have to do that, we get foxs around quite a bit, we have a friendly one who will sit on our door step during the day, which worries me seeing as the chicken enclosure is only a about 20 feet from their.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by