Going on vacation and need some advice about keeping my hens safe

Farmlife16

Songster
Aug 12, 2021
Hey everybody! I'm going on a vacation soon and I was wondering if any of you keep your pop doors open while on vacation? I have a run that is secure, except that it has no skirt around the coop. Do any of you have suggestions for making a predator proof skirt around my run? I'm also considering an automatic door, do you have any suggestions for a door that is cheap, but works well?

Thanks for your help!!

If possible I'd do both an apron and an auto door. If you don't plan on using the auto door when you're not on vacation, then I'd prioritize the apron over the auto door.

As far as the apron, take hardware cloth and bend it to an L shape, so part of it goes up your run wall for attaching to the run, with the remaining 16-24" flat on the ground. Use landscape staples to secure it down onto the ground.

I have a run that is secure, except that it has no skirt around the coop. Do any of you have suggestions for making a predator proof skirt around my run?
Here's a couple of good examples of anti-dig apron installation.

If rodents are prolific, burying the apron ~12" would be good.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

How long will you be gone?
Having someone(who knows chickens so can spot and fix any issues) check on feed, water, eggs at least once a day would be a good idea.

Our pop door is always open. We do not have an auto door. There is an anti-dig apron. We believe that the run/coop combo is predator proof. With our current 4 hens the feed and water lasts more than two weeks. It is in the run. We have neighbors that come over mornings and afternoons to do a head count and collect eggs.

I have the Happy Henhouse auto door and love it! An auto door is one of the best chicken investments you can make.

An anti-dig apron is a must whether or not you go on vacation.

When you go, have somebody check on the chickens every day even if they have food and water to last them for weeks. Chickens can get into trouble even if you take all the precautions. If the daily helper is just a neighbor or a friend with no chicken experience (which will be enough in most cases), have somebody else as a back up, somebody with chicken experience and access to a vet, somebody you can call on in case something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong, anybody can go check in on chickens. But if a chicken gets attacked, falls ill or dies, the just-anybody helper may not know what to do, or may not feel comfortable dealing with the situation. Animals are unpredictable and anything can happen, so have a plan B if something were to happen while you were away.

This is when it's important to have a separate enclosure somewhere for isolating birds - whether because of bullying, to recover from an injury, to quarantine from illness etc. It can be a large dog crate in the basement, a rabbit hutch, one of those small prefab coops that aren't good for anything else etc. Sooner or later you'll need to separate a chicken for some reason, and it's good to have a place you can put them. And your helper person should be instructed on what to do and how to isolate the chicken (and, obviously, have access to the isolation space, if it's in your house).

My flock is generally very stable, but every once in a while sh** happens. For example, I recently had a clusterF of misfortune - an illness followed by a death in the flock, followed by a bout of bullying that left a hen bloodied (if I hadn't intervened right away to separate her, they would have likely cannibalized her, because chickens are stupid). I was working from home when all of those things happened, and was able to act fast and prevent further tragedy. If I'd been out at the office all day, things would've gotten worse. If I'd been completely away on vacation for days, each situation could've cascaded into a much bigger problem requiring intervention, and I don't think my general standby helper person (neighbor) would've felt comfortable dealing with sickness, blood or death. I do, however, have a seasoned fellow chicken owner friend who isn't available for daily check-ins, but who has my back in case sh** hits the fan and something serious happens. I can count on her to intervene, isolate, treat, or drive a chicken to the vet if necessary. Friends like that are priceless. Try to find yourself one, in addition to the daily help!

Here's a couple of good examples of anti-dig apron installation.

If rodents are prolific, burying the apron ~12" would be good.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

How long will you be gone?
Having someone(who knows chickens so can spot and fix any issues) check on feed, water, eggs at least once a day would be a good idea.
Thank you! I will be gone about 10 days and I have neighbor (she also has chickens) ,who lives close by, that will be checking on them every few days and collecting eggs.

Our pop door is always open. We do not have an auto door. There is an anti-dig apron. We believe that the run/coop combo is predator proof. With our current 4 hens the feed and water lasts more than two weeks. It is in the run. We have neighbors that come over mornings and afternoons to do a head count and collect eggs.
Thanks, I decided to go ahead and buy an autodoor so that I have more peace of mind😅 I think I might install an anti dig apron.

If possible I'd do both an apron and an auto door. If you don't plan on using the auto door when you're not on vacation, then I'd prioritize the apron over the auto door.

As far as the apron, take hardware cloth and bend it to an L shape, so part of it goes up your run wall for attaching to the run, with the remaining 16-24" flat on the ground. Use landscape staples to secure it down onto the ground.
Thanks, I decided to get an autodoor, but I might install an apron. I like your idea of making the skirt and L-shape, seems more secure.

Back
Top Bottom