Going on vacation for 1-week

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EdentroGardens, Jul 2, 2009.

1. EdentroGardens

EdentroGardens Hatching

May 16, 2009
    I am going to go on vacation for a week in August, and I need advice on how to care for the Hens when I am not here. They have a large fully-insulate coop in the backyard with about 100 feet of grass access. The water and food very rarely runs out before one week. Is is conceivable/normal to add more feeders and waterers and leave them for one week? Will they be okay? The most trouble they have been in so far is getting caught in a net trying to run away from a squirrel.

Also, is there a regular 'pet sitter' that doesn't charge a wing and a leg to check in on the birds? How about a farm that would take them in for a week? I am near rockville, maryland

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I would add extra water and feed to be safe. Isn't there someone that could check on them for you?? My daughter was just gone for a week and I took care of her animals every day. I"d be afraid to leave them unchecked for a week. Do you have any predator around you.??

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Songster

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Find someone. They should be put in at night.

For vacation coverage last year, I posted a flyer at my vet's office. One of the employees has a son who is active in 4-H. He checked on my birds twice a day. I gave him $15 a day & he said it was too much. [​IMG] It was worth it to me!

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I would definately hire someone to look after them for you even if its only once a day. They need fresh water every day or at least every other day especially if it is warm where you are. Perhaps a neighbor could do it for you? Or a close friend, someone you can trust with your birds. This is why I don't get to go anywhere, I'm afraid to leave my babies with anyone else.

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    That is why I"m never gone for more then a few hours. I worry about them to much.

6. ocean_rain21

ocean_rain21 In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Yes if you can find someone to check on them daily that would be ideal. We live in the country so we get a 'neighbour' who drives by our house on their way to and from work to stop in. It really only takes 5 min so its not a big problem.

7. jrleader99

jrleader99 Songster

Ideally, yes it would be great to have someone stop by for a few minutes to check on your birds. It really doesn't take much time, 5-10 minutes, twice per day. Let them out in their run in the morning, check food/water, and do the same in the evening. One word of caution would be the hiring of someone else with birds. Ask them to be diligent in what they wear between your birds and theirs. You don't want an issue of your bird sitter bringing in outside diseases while you are gone.

If by chance you can not find someone, you can always put extra food/feeders out. As far as water you could put a slow running hose in the waterer, as long as it has a safe place to drain when it overflows. That will provide some fresh clean water to your birds.

There are always places to find someone to watch your animals though. Ask at your feedstore if they know someone or someone's teenager.

Good luck and have a great vacation!!!

8. EdentroGardens

EdentroGardens Hatching

May 16, 2009
    thanks,

Any reason they couldn't be cooped up for the entire week? I keep them cooped whenever it rains, and while they LOVE the dirt, they seem happy enough indoors. They have about 32 sq ft for the two of them, a light, feeder, and waterer. Wish I could give them more but can't think of anything. maybee a mirror?

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    If it got really hot, the coop would be stifling. It is preferable to have someone let them out, and then lock them back up again. Do you have any teens in your neighborhood that need some extra bucks?

10. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Songster

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    You might try a professional pet sitter. They are usually pretty flexible and not too pricey. One of your vet's workers might be interested in making a little money on the side or ask at your feed store. I wouldn't let everyone know when you'll be gone tho.....
    Carrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: