Going on vacation for a month....what do we do with the chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizeb247, Oct 1, 2011.

1. lizeb247

lizeb247 New Egg

Oct 1, 2011
    My family and I go on vacation for a whole month (possibly more this year) to a lake in the Adirondack mountains. We rent a house there, but we have family there that own property as well. We are thinking about getting chickens, but we have no idea what to do with them. We would like to bring them if possible (6 hour car ride). Please help

2. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    What month do you go on vacation? Do you take your vacation all at once or in short segments?
    We are going to Europe for 3 weeks and Hawaii for 3 weeks. We will have a house/chicken sitter so our hens can keep their routine normal.
    But depending on when you want to travel, the length of each trip and the age of your chickens at the time of travel, I can give you some ideas.

3. lizeb247

lizeb247 New Egg

Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks! The month of July, and all at once.

4. RanchoDelPolloLoco

RanchoDelPolloLoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Hi and welcome! [​IMG] I am not sure where you are located but there is a Chickensitting thread if you could get friendly with another chicken owner/pet sitter.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=546740

I am pretty new to this myself so not sure about taking them along but I am sure there are other members here that can help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by