1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Going on vacation next month,what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by murdeb, Sep 27, 2011.

1. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    We will be going out of town for a week the end of October, we have had our 2 BO's for 10 days and they are getting pretty comfortable with us. I believe them to be about 4 months old, no eggs yet. My concern is this, we have been letting them free range all day, they go in the coop to roost at night and we let them out in the morning. We will have someone to come over to check on the girls, but, while we are gone, they will not be able to free range. Should we start shortening the amount of time they are free ranging out in the yard so it won't be too much of a shock to them when they are "cooped" up for a week? They do have a 6-8 ft run.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    No they will be fine.

3. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    Thanks! Where is Blountstown, FL? I live on the east coast of FL in a town called Sebastian.

4. toysmom

toysmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    When I am going to be out of town, I leave plenty of water and feed out, and let the chickens just out on their run. I have somebody come by and check on them. Yours should be fine while you are gone. Have a good time!

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am smack in the middle between Panama City Beach and Tallahassee. I had my sister come check on mine. Worried myself to death and they were fine. I did put out extra waterers since I wasn't there to refill them morning and night!
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by