Going on Vacation question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmatkovi, Aug 17, 2008.

1. jmatkovi

jmatkovi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Lebanon, CT
    I will be going on vacation and am going to be leaving some 10 week old chicks alone in my basement for about 10 days. I will be having someone coming once a day to check my animals (dog/cats/chicks/gerbles/fish). I'm just not sure if checking them once a day will be OK for them. Should I try and get a friend to stay at my house while I'm gone?

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

I think other than the guilt factor, the chicks will be fine...just leave good directions

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

We took our chicks on vacation with us. NOT by my choice. The kids has such a fit that I said fine. Thank goodness we just went camping.
    They should be fine. Just leave notes for the caregiver.

4. MooseHillFarm

MooseHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    Quote:lol, I almost did the same thing, and that was without kids bugging me. I ended up leaving the chicks at home with plenty of water and food and they did well. Your pet sitter can give fresh water and feed daily, and tidy up the premises. They'll be fine.

5. jmatkovi

jmatkovi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Lebanon, CT
    There is a definite gilt factor here. I really don't want to leave them but I'm going overseas to meet My husband at his next port call. And seeing my husband is something I'm not going to miss after not seeing him for three months. But I still feel bad. Is good to here that they should be fine. I might also see if a neighbor can check on them every now and them as well.

P.S. Husband is a Submariner in the Navy. Short port calls and little communication is hell. But love him to death and he loves his job. Not to mention they pay good.

6. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Your chicks will be ok, just make sure your sitter knows what to do, and leave your cell number just in case. Then comes the hard part you have to try to not feel guilty and relax!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by