Going on vacation, worried about the heat

bmill88

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2016
Hello chicken lovers!

Me and my husband are going to go on vacation for a few days, so I got a sitter to stop by once a day to check on them. I am a bit worried about the heat and humidity (Georgia summer). Since the sitter is only coming once a day, they won't be able to have their frozen jugs in their run with them. The temp says it's only going to be 93 but my backyard gets direct sunlight for 8+ hours a day. The coop has a run attached to it, and I keep it on my screened in porch which is shaded 100%. I put ice in their water already, and have instructed the sitter to do so as well. there is also a ceiling fan on the porch that I keep on to help keep it cooler and the air circulating. I keep reading about the poor chickens dying due to heat and it has got me worried a bit. The porch stays shaded but it still gets hot. What should I do? I love my babies and I would be so heart broken if they died.

Have the sitter come during the hotter part of the day and put the frozen jugs down then.
Freeze up some extras for them and leave the fan running.

You could put some of their favorite treats in a bag in the freezer for your sitter to give them. We got to a 100 a little over a week ago here and I was so worried for my birds. We were still putting the top on the run and they had no shade except under the coop. I did the frozen jugs and ice in water. It didn't seem like enough, so I grabbed a small loaf of homemade bread from my freezer (spoiled chickens lol). They loved pecking away at the frozen treat. I saw a post where someone had put sunflower seeds in the water, along with ice cubes to encourage drinking. I am sure they will be ok. :) We are having some of the same worries here though. We go on vacation next week.
fl.gif
Have a great time!

Thanks for the feed back. I talked my sitter into coming twice a day just so they can have their frozen jugs. i just checked the porch at the hottest part of the day, it's at about 79 degrees and they are not panting. I think they should be ok. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom