Going out of town for the weekend.....

TammyTootles

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 30, 2012
Bridgeport ,Texas
I'm going out of town this weekend ....my boyfriend is going to make sure the girls have plenty of food and water...my question is, how long will the eggs they lay stay good in the next boxes without being collected. I will only be gone two days but I was wondering how long they would stay good for if left outside....he asked me and I have no clue

Awesome ;) thank you so much guys I have been wondering bout that....also when is the best time to was them? Right before you eat them or as soon as you gather them...

I don't wash mine in order to not remove the "bloom" which tends to seal the egg making it less porous and able to remain fresher, longer. If my eggs look like they need to be washed, I do it right before eating. If I get a really disgusting egg (hardly ever happens) I will wash it right away and put it in the fridge. At that point it is probably safe to eat, but sometimes I can't get past the "ick factor" and will hard boil those and give them back to the hens. That's just me...

x2 If you wash them then you need to refrigerate because you have washed off the magical layer that keeps out bacteria. I wash mine before I eat them so I can leave them out. Either way is fine. It is just what you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom