Going out of town

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm going out of town for 2 nights. I cleaned & filled the 5 gallon water-er. Filled the feeder which holds about 50 lbs. The chickens will be left cooped up for three days. Their gonna be mad at me. What else should I do?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Will they be cool enough staying inside?

I'd get a friend or neighbor you trust to look in on them.

I'm flying to DC on Thursday for Glen Beck's, Restoring Honor Rally on 8.28... Glad I have kids that know how to do chores.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yes the coop is shaded big time. Your right & I have one neighbor that will probably help. Can't bribe him with eggs because their not laying yet.

4. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I think you'd be wise just to have him/her check in at least once each day. You never know!!! I'm sure your food and water will be fine for that time.... means less work for the neighbour, so it's just a check-in.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I do it all the time--they'll be fine. Check 'em just before you leave and as soon as you get back.

6. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    If you don't want to impose on your neighbor, I've hired a pet sitter to come check on my girl's before. My vacation was so much better being at ease knowing my girl's would have an eye on them. I didn't even get the stink eye from them (well, no more than usual) when I got home.

7. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Went to the neighbors house & he said he would be glad to help. I have some okra plants & he is gonna take some. Told him that their not laying yet but when they do I'd tighten him up. He said my chickens have salmonella. LOL I feel better about leaving now. Take care of your chickens & be safe. Later!! 7L

8. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Those are fightin' words! [​IMG]

9. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Made it back & still have all my babies Yee haw. Received my automatic door opener & hot wire while I was gone. Will install tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by