Going outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kychick15, Apr 1, 2017.

1. kychick15

kychick15 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2015
    I have 6 chicks that are currently about 6 months, currently in my kitchen, that need to go outside. There is a coop that is ready but has an adult hen in it. I took 2 babies outside with me today to meet her and see how she did with them. She was ok but did peck on them from time to time. Think it would be ok to put them outside with her? My house smells and they are to big for their box!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

The pecking is just to make sure the chicks know who is the boss. It's fine to put them out, just keep an eye on them

3. kychick15

kychick15 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2015
    I figured it was just the pecking order but wanted to make sure!!! Out they go then.

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Six months? That' s a long long time. I think you're going to find that the chicks have more adjustment issues than your adult hen so be prepared for them crying because they suddenly have to learn about day/night cycles and they aren't going to like the dark. Harden your heart - as long as you know they aren't being attacked by predators (except the one in their own little heads) put your feet up and have a glass of wine. They'll forgive you eventually, and it usually doesn't take long.

The adult may well peck at them, but she's outnumbered. Does that mean it can't get ugly? Nope, not at all. At times it can get very ugly. But you can't let them stay in your kitchen for the rest of their lives so you will just have to let them work it out.

I wish you all the luck in the world. And if you decide to raise chicks again there is an article on raising them directly outdoors from the start. Total integration by the time the chicks are 4-5 weeks old, no longer on heat, and totally self-sufficient. Plus your kitchen stays neat and doesn't smell - bonus! [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Is that a typo on the age of your "chicks"? Six months is full grown, no longer chicks, and they're at point-of-lay. They should have been moved out to the coop five months ago.

If you really mean six weeks, they are ready to move out, regardless. But there are ways to make it safer for the chicks. A gradual integration beginning with day time visits outdoors to the run is a good start.

Chicks need time to observe the adult chickens and learn their temperaments. If you just toss them together with the adults, they won't know who might be dangerous and which of the adults might be indifferent. A week in a safe pen alongside the adults will give them this learning experience.

Then I open chick size opening from the safe pen to the rest of the run. This gives the chicks a chance to start navigating the pecking order while still being able to run back inside to safety. I call this the panic room method of integration.

After a week of that, the chicks can then safely move into the coop with the adults.

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I wondered about that age too, @azygous but 6 weeks or 6 months, my answer wouldn't change anyway! [​IMG]She said she only has the one adult out there, so I'm assuming the usual integration into a whole flock will be somewhat different.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Shall we set up book on it? Who's for six months and who's for six weeks? [​IMG] I'd give equal odds on either.

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Nah, you always win on accounta you pick up on things in posts that I miss! [​IMG] I didn't think about a typo until after I'd submitted my response, but like I said it didn't change my answer so I let it pass me right by.

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I hope this isn't one of those abandoned threads. I'm really curious now how old these notorious "chicks" really are.

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Me too.... hope we didn't scare her off....she seemed like a nice person...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by