1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Going Outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tofumama, Oct 22, 2009.

1. tofumama

tofumama Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are about 8 weeks old right now, give or take. I have been bringing them out to their run for a couple hours a day and then bringing them back in. They are living in a 45 gal tote right now and it is just too small for them! We are having a warm week with Indian Summer, and I am wondering if I can put them out in the coop permanently yet...or should I find bigger housing for them inside? The coop will not be heated, just a light.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    At eight weeks, yes you can put them out in the coop! [​IMG]

That's HUGE!

They are VERY well feathered by this time, and they should be just fine. If you have older chickens in the coop already, there are some logistics to integrating them, but your chicks should be very able to go outdoors by now.

3. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Shouldn't be a problem with a draft free coop. I have peeps that are younger by a week outside and they've left (for the most part) the confines of the nest where they and their mother all stayed. Mine are of the "hardy" breeds though. Handle winters well. Bar Rocks, Jersey Giants. Hope this helps your decision, as I know I went through the same process before and know how you feel.
    [​IMG]

4. tofumama

tofumama Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks gals...yes they are HUGE! [​IMG] I was just concerned as we do live in MA...we are having day temps up to 50-60 but the nights do go down into the 40's. The coop in insulated, draft-proof, and the run is partially wind-proof.

OK! They will be going out this weekend! Yay!

5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I respect the other ladies answers but the poster is in Mass. The 2 people who answered the post are in much warmer states, Virginia and Texas. I'm in NH about 12 miles from the Mass border and the nights have been very cold. Sometimes down into the 30's. I can't see (in my opinion) 8 week old chicks going 'cold turkey' (sorry) into an unheated coop.

Maybe provide a heat lamp for a few days? Their tiny bodies haven't had a chance to acclimate to the cold either. They will be going from 65 degrees at night to 40 degrees or less.

Just my opinion and I am NOT as experienced as the women who answered the post.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I admit that i thought 'indian summer' meant that it was warm. [​IMG] Silly southerners!

However, in an insulated, draft-free coop, those babies will grow accustomed to the temps much more easily than we give them credit for.

And if there is a concern, you could actually put the brooder box in the coop for a while to give them a smaller place to cuddle up inside of.

7. sassychiken

sassychiken Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Coastal Bend
    heheehhe that's funny! I live in south Texas and to me VIRGINIA is waaaaaay up north! [​IMG]

8. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:haha! yeah.

9. Marbleheader

Marbleheader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    I'm in Mass, but on the coast where it's a little warmer. Our chicks will be 5 weeks on Sunday and they've been out in their coop since last week. We have a heat light and I'e tried to keep it between 70 and 75. Today was warm and Sunny so we opened the door and let them go in the run if they wanted. They went out for a little while, but came back in when the temp dropped below 60.

If you check out my live chicken cam, you may see them go outside again!!!

One thing to keep in mind is that if you're introducing them to a new coop, it's best to keep them locked up for a couple days so they learn where home is.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  10. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Yeah, It's been cold down here too. In fact colder than up Mass way. Starting to convince myself that I've acquired a chicken brain because I could have sworn there was no Fall season. 20 degrees below normal temps.

As Punkin (name of my absolutely favorite girl... er..hen) said in her second post concerning a brooder box was something I'd thought to include in my 1st post. It seems everything I do concerning the chickens has leaned towards a more careful approach. Heck I think about taking them *even some of the grown ones* inside while they're out during the Noreaster we've been going through just to warm their "piggy" toes..lol

Oh...btw...I'm a rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by