going outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by david182, Apr 7, 2012.

1. david182

david182 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Quick question ~

I am a new chick mommy... we currently have 7 babies~ The question is at what point should I take them outside for "play time" right now they spend their day inside as it is still getting pretty cold here at night ... Our new coop is in the process of being built.[​IMG]

This picture was taken before the big man on top, we named him/her "Crazy", learned to climb up and OVER the top... now we have a mesh screen on top of the box and the heat lamp is attached higher and pointing down... They are a very happy bunch and get along well. I take them out for about 45 minutes a day (at 2 seperate times) and let them play... I have 2 children I want them to be used to... all my chick babies are pretty well mannered (except for the two black/striped ones) they have a very stand offish personality...

My knowledge is pretty limited but my grandmother and mother in law have both raised chicks and are helping ... they both say all are healthy and happy. Our chicks came from Rural King and they good folks there were unsure of their age so I don't know how to judge that other than by their feathers. We purchased straight run so I also don't know who is a boy/girl... I am sure time shall tell! Any advice or help is greatly appreciated! :) Thanks! Chick mommy in KY!

2. PeuAPeu

PeuAPeu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I am a new chicken mommy too. I have ten babies. I also do not know if mine are girls or boys. Now I live in Alabama so our weather has been pretty warm. I kept my babies insde the first week and a half in a baby playpen I found at yardsale for 5.00. It was previously used for kittens I had a couple of years ago. The size was good for the 10 babies. My retired father and I built a brooder which was about 3 feet off the ground, 8 ft long and 24 wide. Since its completion I have kept the babies outdoors. They were about a week old when I got them. So about 2 weeks in they went outside. I installed the heat lamp inside and ran some small tree limbs through the wire to act as a roost. They play on the roost all day and last night I notice one or two sitting on the lower roosts near the heat lamp although most still just snuggle up together. Now this coming week I saw the weather report said the temps will go down maybe as low as 38. So yesterday, I took some tarps I had and stapled them around the exterior of the coop except one small panel where I can see them and of course, left the door accessible. The door is solid as I had removed it off a cabinet in my kitchen where I placed my microwave. I think as long as the nightly temps are 50 or above the babies will be fine outside, especially with the heat lamp. During the day here it has been in the 70s and even 80s already. If your temps are moderate, you could leave the babies out most of the day. I hope this helps. Enjoy the babies.

3. david182

david182 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    It is getting down in the 30's at night so I don't want to take them out all night yet but was thinking about taking them out during the day for some time out of the brooder... when it is warm... wondered if that would be ok? It is getting in the 70's during the day...

4. PeuAPeu

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I think the 70s are great. My brooder is up off the ground but I tossed in some dry leaves and also used a large bowl that a large flower pot sits in. I filled it with dirst and they have loved rolling in it and taking their dirt bath. They haven't yet gotten to go onto the ground as I do have 4 dogs and 3 cats. I want them to be a bit bigger before I let them free range. In the mean time I am working (with dad and my bf, Geoff) to build a pen that they will get to be in on the ground. It will be 1'2 X 12' X12' X 12'. I'm planning on incorporating the brooder in the plan for the pe cabinet doors for safetyen possibly using it as a part of the roost. I try to be green and reuse anything I can. I was able to procure a double cabinet out of a house that was being torn down. I cut out two holes on the back side which will face inwards to the pen. The existing cabinet doors will face outside of the pen. This will be used for the hens nests. All I have to do is add a lock or latch to the cabinet doors. This will give me easy access to gather eggs without having to go into the pen. Anyways......I am being long winded. I think your babies will love being outside. I have dug up a few earthworms and they just love snacking on them. One will get it and the others will chase him/her all over the pen. I can't wait until they are bigger and I can put them on the ground to find their own snacks [​IMG]

5. PeuAPeu

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    Oh, and I have pics, just look in my profile. YOu can see the babies and the brooder/coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by