Going solar

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cward, Jul 29, 2011.

1. cward

cward Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Wilson
    Has anyone thought of using solar panels to power any electrical components for the coops? I recently bought a small solar panel that charges a 12V battery but I'm switching somethings on it to power a box fan during the hot months and going to use it to power my heat lamps during the winter. During the summer I can hook it straight to the fan but during the winter since I'll use the lights at night, I'll have a 12V battery hooked to the panel and then run the lights off of the battery at night. Anyone else tried anything like this?

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Sounds really interesting. Haven't tried it, hope you post updates. You might look on the sister site, sufficientself.com And welcome!

3. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

Sounds like you have a plan. I like the idea. [​IMG]

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    going to use it to power my heat lamps during the winter

It will take multiple deep cycle batteries and an inverter to run heat lamps.

You'll end up spending hundreds of dollars to find out it's not a good idea​

5. woodenart

woodenart Out Of The Brooder

I have a solar panel that trickle charges a car battery that powers up a motion sensor to turn on a small light, not a powerful light but enough to startle a would be intruder.

Mark

6. cward

cward Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Wilson
    So far I have a 12v trickle charger but my brother-in-law builds solar panels. Within the next couple of days, hopefully we'll have something worked out and I'll post some pics. I also have a couple of inverters that I've got from ebay. Between him and myself, we have what we need, its just getting it together. And thanks for the welcomes [​IMG] .....Chris

7. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Does your brother in law sell his solar panels online? I'd be curious to see them [​IMG]

8. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    We don't have anything that good, but we have solar powered motion lights for outside and our automatic coop door will be solar powered... once we have the finished coop to put the door on. [​IMG]

9. cward

cward Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Wilson
    @GardenGal - No not yet. He's putting in a big order for some next week, after that I think he'll start selling them on ebay.

@JusticeFamilyFarm - I'm also thinking of putting up some motion detectors. We have quite alot of chicken predators around here, especially owls and foxes.

10. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Yes, around here we have possible coyotes (although one hasn't been seen in a long time... thankfully) but they don't like light, which is why we thought of the motion sensor lights. Maybe they'll help with night time predators who do best in the dark? We have a dog who would scare them away... if he could be near the chickens and goats. Unfortunately he doesn't only scare the coyotes... it works on the goats and chickens too. He's not the most livestick friendly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by