1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

going through the uglies!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chookook, Apr 17, 2009.

1. chookook

chookook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    They look like they have mange/shrunken head syndrome![​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] I still love them

2. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Mine are a bit odd looking at 5 weeks too. LOL at the petty/sweaty bit!

3. chookook

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    Thanks, they're actually eight or nine weeks if you can believe it. I think they look younger since I baby them. My life motto works on so many level.

4. preppy*hippie*chick

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I'm actually not sure how old mine are, she said five weeks 'cause thgats when you can sex them, but I got five and two are much bigger than the other three.

This is a little one, from the side she looks very front heavy. Hopefully that means she'll be built like a Wyandotte.

[​IMG]

5. chookook

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    Oh she's beautiful!! Mine are so gawky and look like roadrunners hehe. I've been wanting some blrw since I saw them here a month ago. If only I'd known about them a few months ago...

6. preppy*hippie*chick

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I was all set to get Partridge Rocks, but I got to looking at the rooster & thought I'd be in danger of flashbacks from the RIR rooster my parents had when I was little. One day Dad came out of the horse barn, pitchfork in hand to find the rooster on my shoulders, attacking. He knocked him off me and took a swing at him with the handle of the pitchfork. He said it was hilarious. The rooster's comb fell over, then HE fell over. Dad thought he was dead, but he was mean as ever just a few minutes later.

Is that chick in the pic a RIR? I think he/she is cute in a gawky adolescent way.

7. chookook

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    What a story! The worst rooster incident we had was our nerdy bantam sebright jumping at our legs every chance he got...not scary. The pic is one of two rir pullets, I call her friendly even though her official name is horsey thanks to one of my daycare girls. funny name for a chicken-horsey. She's the only one who's actually sweet and wants to be as close to me as she can get. The rest where supposed to be black aus, but trying to pick them out of a bin of tons was hard and we ended up with a barred rock and black sex link, too. Now I'm glad there's such a mix.

8. preppy*hippie*chick

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Those should be great layers!

9. chookook

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    I think so. We had red sex link before and they where amazing. The RIR where reliable, but this is my first time with BR and B Aus. They're both pretty and timid. I have this one chick that's probably a little man. He's supposed to be a buff cochin x blrw. So far he's all buff cochin with a little peppering on his wings. [​IMG]

10. preppy*hippie*chick

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    OH I LOVE Conchins. If I hadn't gone with BLRWs I would have gone w/Blue Conchins. Supposed to be super nice birds too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by