Going to a show, critique my birds! (OEGB, d'uccles, bantam cochin)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyd2008, Nov 14, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I didn't get too many pics, and I'm not sure what all I need to photograph? But here's a few, please tell me what you think.

Mille fleur d'uccle cock:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Porcelain d'uccle cock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Porcelain d'uccle hen:
    [​IMG]

Splash OEGB cockerel:
    [​IMG]

Splash OEGB pullet:
    [​IMG]

Splash bantam cochin pullet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black OEGB cockerel (He needs dubbed still, but I noticed he has a broken feather in his tail. So he won't be going to this show, but maybe for spring?):
    [​IMG]

2. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Okay here goes it

MF Rooster: He needs work on his color pattern. It appears that he has too much black on and around his face. It also looks like he has an extra serade(sp?) on his comb.

Porcelains: It appears that they need more work on their wing angles, the wings should be parallel with vulture hocks. The hen has too much white in her color pattern i think.

Its really had to judge them, what you need to do is get picture side shots that are not too close up.

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    He has a lot of black on his face and breast, but I was under the impression that he is the 'black' mille fleur that they've been talking about.

So the porcelains' wings are too high? And the hen's spots shouldn't be that big, right?

I'll still take them, I just wanted to get opinions. I have another porcelain cock and hen but the two pictured have better foot feathering. My other cock also has the feather breakage on his shoulders.

4. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Its hard to tell from the pictures but yeah her white spots are too big.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I don't have any of these breeds myself, Shelley, but your birds are really pretty-especially your splash OEGB.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG]
    With what I paid for those splash OEGB, they'd better be pretty [​IMG]

7. labo

labo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2009
    Mouth of a Hollow
    lookin good

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It's hard to comment on type without seeing the bird well posed. They will photograph better on the groung than on a roost.
    A couple of obsewrvations:
    Your Millie is too black in his beard. The standard calls for "golden buff & balck tipped with white". There is no black Mille Fleur.
    Your Porcelain female's colour is fine.
    The Splash OEGB male looks pretty good. The female is too long in the back.
    I like the Splash Cochin female's colour a lot.
    The Black OEGB cockerel is a poor example of the breed. Type is all wrong & his legs are much too pale.
    This isn't a very complete critique because as I said the birds need to be posed better.
    Enjoy the show. Look closely at the birds that win & compare them against your birds. Talk to other exhibitors. Most of us love to talk about our birds & most are happy to try to help newcomers.

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Okay, got back from the show about 11:30 this morning. The little splash OEGB pullet got RV, but there were only 4 total in her variety. I asked the judge why my cockerel didn't place. The judge said that the color is too dark, but otherwise he had excellent type. So at least I know what to look for in future birds [​IMG] So that probably means that the splash cochin girl is also too dark, which stinks. I really like the contrast of her color. She looked like crap when I took her, I don't know what her deal was. Maybe I'll try her again this spring when it's not too cold to give baths.

The rest (including the cochin) were the only one in their age group for their variety, so I still don't know how 'good' they are. But none of them placed at all, so I've got lots of pretty 'pets' [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    your cochin hen looks almost blue mottled...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by