Going to auction to get hatching eggs tonight! What kind should i get?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GAChknGirl, Sep 5, 2009.

1. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    silkies, barred rocks, and buff orpingtons are a no we have lots of those already!![​IMG]

Well i got duck eggs but then we went to get them and someone else ended up with them so we got our money back.. O well i'm getting some more chicken eggs soon!!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Black giants! Cochins! or Frizzles!

3. GAChknGirl

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    I really want cochins and Frizzles!! They are going to the top of my list!!!

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Welsummers! Lakenvelders! That's what I'd get if I were allowed to get chickens... (what? So I have five ducks, two geese, ten eggs about to hatch, and fifteen ducks on order from Holderread's for this spring--no person in their right mind would think that was simply enough birds for one person, right???? I SHOULD be allowed to have chickens, right?? RIGHT?????)

Ah well. [​IMG] I can live vicariously.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  5. GAChknGirl

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:I might get ducks instead!! heck i have been wanting to hatch them, Choices choices

6. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Ducks rock! Get ducks!

Indian Runners! Magpies! Anconas! Welsh Harlequins! Khaki Campbells! (All of them good egg layers)

7. GAChknGirl

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:I think i might, i have 2 mallards and a crested i thought they would be laying by now but nope not yet?? hmmm

8. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't know about cresteds, but I *think* mallards are purely seasonal layers--so they wouldn't start laying till next spring any way. How old are they? Ducks usually start laying between 5 and 7 months, except, of course, seasonal layers, who will lay in the first spring after they reach maturity.

9. GAChknGirl

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    the crested is going on 5 months old, and i didnt know that about mallards. Thanks for the info [​IMG]

10. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Don't quote me on that though! [​IMG] I don't really know--it just seems like something I might have read somewhere... Anyway, if they're only just getting toward 5 months, they may be a while even if they're regular layers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by