1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Going to be a foster mom.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SassyKat6181, Jun 7, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    For the people that don't know......Western Massachusetts was hit with a terrible tornado last Wednesday (it traveled 39 miles). My town being one that was hit, but fortunately my house was mostly out of its path. We lost some fences and power for a few days, but otherwise we are ok. A woman less than 1/2 mile away has major damage to her house and all the trees are down on her property. Her new coop was supposed to be delivered last Thursday. She has been told they won't deliver it until the property is cleared. She saw my egg sign out front and stopped by to talk. She asked if I would foster her 3, 6 week old pullets and 1, 6 week old guinea until they can get the coop setup. Poor things are still in the brooder box in her garage. I said, "sure why not?" She seemed very nice and has a teenage daughter that is willing to help out in the coops, and is going to provide their feed. I have a partition in the duck coop where I have been keeping the 12 week old RIR's, but they have been getting along well with the 9 month old hens, so this weekend they will move to the big girl coop. This will give the babies lots of room since I cannot put them in the run with the big girls. Does anyone have recommendations or concerns with this? Also, should I leave the guinea with the chicks, or house her with my own 7 week old guineas? Thanks!

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Awww I'm sorry that happened. There has been A LOT of tornadoes around lately! I bet you'll be a good foster mom. I think the babies will be ok but with the guinea... hmm I heard they weren't such great mothers. But good luck!!! :)

3. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Fostering is a great and wonderful thing...and what a way to help your neighbor/community. As a disaster responder myself, I've seen firsthand how local people helping local people is really the only way to get through these terrible events.

That said...my only concern would be lack of quarantine. If you have a place to keep the fosters well away from your flock, it would be better. Also follow good hygiene for hands and shoes for anyone (human) going from their coop to yours. Odds are her birds are fine and this is just overcautiousness. Just don't want to see your good deed turn into a negative.

4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Quote:Good thought, on the quarantine. I could let her set up in one of the extra stalls away from my flock. I'll talk to her when she comes by later today. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by