Going to be a foster mom.....

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by SassyKat6181, Jun 7, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I am going to foster 3 chicks and 1 guinea that are 6-7 weeks old. The lady 1/2 mile down the street was hit by last weeks tornado (strange for western massachusetts) and asked if they could stay here for a while until she can get the yard cleared and the coop delivered. My question is......do I house the guinea with her chicks, or with my own 7 week old guineas? My gut says to leave her with the chicks as she will be returning with them, and don't want her to form a bond with my flock and try to return when she leaves.

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I can't give you any advice, but I think it is a REALLY nice thing you are doing.
    mississippifarmboy has been doing wonderful things for tornado victims as well.

I commend each of you who have been willing to help.

Edited to add... I would probably put the guineas together, but now I wonder if it would be easier not to have to reintroductions for her later ????????

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I'd keep her birds completely separate from your flock, you don't want anybody getting sick... (biosecurity!)

4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Thanks again PeepsCA......you are always to the rescue. [​IMG] I am going to tell her that she can set up in one of the extra stalls in the other section of the barn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by