Going to be a lonley call duck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by anaiyuk, Jul 26, 2011.

1. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Earlier this year I set out to keep a promise to my daughter to get some eggs and hatch them in time for the fair. The fair here begins very early. it will be here in a few days. The eggs that I did get never made it to hatch as there was some incubator issues. So i packed everything up and decided to wait till next year, A few weeks ago I had the thought that the fair will cause me to be looking early again and I will have trouble finding eggs again. So I bought four eggs from someone on ebay. when they arrived the airsacks were detached and they were covered in an overwhelming amount of smoke. But I put them in anyway hoping to get some ducklings. Only one has been forming and I don't want to have a lonely duck. So I am asking for people to post if they are interested in selling some show quality eggs. I am also hoping for some ancona eggs or indies as these are the breeds we were both interested in. we are not picky about colors or if they are eggs or already hatched. [​IMG]

2. anaiyuk

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    It does not look as if this post made it to the forum. I can not see it there!

3. anaiyuk

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Please, I really want to make this happen!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Sorry but most ducks are molting and call ducks stop laying once the temps get real high and humid. Especially the Show Quality ones.

5. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Shipped call duck eggs are absolutely horrid to try to hatch. Even eggs that haven't been shipped are terrible. I would buy good quality pair of calls and hatch their eggs next year. Good luck on your one good egg.

6. anaiyuk

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Thank you for your posts, I truly appreciate it! I know it's late in the season, I was just hoping for some luck! [​IMG] Candling tonight I see something quikly taking over the egg. It is a transparent grey on the inside. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I have candled many eggs and have never come across this before! Could it be from the cigarette smoke that was on the eggs?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Yep - my Calls were all laying like crazy until about a month ago. They went into a molt, and I haven't seen an egg since! [​IMG] I did manage to hatch about 10 "keepers" this spring for next year though! I'm going to be focusing on Blacks, Blues, Lilacs, and Chocolates in Self and Bibbed next spring! [​IMG]

8. anaiyuk

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    I saw the pics of your ducklings! They were soooo adorable [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by