Going to bed.....chickens are not the brightest bulbs....

eggcamefirst

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Piedmont Triad, NC
So when I open the coop in the evening the chicks (6 weeks old) all gather on the ramp... no one actually goes inside. I have heard of putting treats inside and/or a light. Granted they have only been outside 3 nights but I was hoping to avoid the "catch and place" phase and move to the "we put ourselves to bed phase".....any other suggestions?

ours are 4 weeks and we're stuck with the catch and shove in before they escape again routine . I tried the light thing and it didn't do anything. I'd love to hear too if anyone has a sure fire way to get them in!

Before long they'll get the idea. I had to round mine up for the first week until they started putting themselves to bed at dusk. I also did use food, I'd make up some oatmeal and fruit, and put the bowl in the coop. They would eat up and then go to bed!

Go out a bit earlier.

Take some treats with you.

Place some treats (just one a few to tempt) around the ramp, one or two on the ramp and then go into the coop and spread the rest of the treats.

Once everyone is in and while they are eating close the pop door.

Stay and watch chicks finish treats.
smile.png

Watch so none escape as you leave the coop.

I have been battling this for 3 weeks! Two nights a week and a half ago they all went in on their own and then all of a sudden back to square one, argh!
he.gif
Then last night it dawned on me that we had solar lights pointing into the run and maybe that is why they weren't going in? Sure enough tonight I moved the solar light, put a small light on in the coop and I just went out and they were all in
celebrate.gif

I think it just takes repetition and the right circumstances for them to 'get it', I don't believe there are any easy solutions unfortunately
hu.gif

Quote:
Agreed! Try the light again as well, after a few more nights of putting them in the light will appeal to them and they will gravitate to it. It worked for me. You really need to try a combination of all these techniques and see what works fir your chickens. I know what your going through, I just went through the same process a few weeks ago.
big_smile.png

I left my girls in the coop for 3 days straight. Once they were let out, they came in and put themselves to bed when it got dark. Might be worth a shot.

Well I feel like the dim bulb now...went down to the coop 10 minutes ago and sure enough they were all inside asleep! I think they did that just to show me up, I'm sure I'll be chasing again tomorrow night... Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom