going to bed early?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vsmenagerie, Sep 29, 2011.

1. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Its currently 7:11 pm where I live, and I went down to give the chickens some treats at like 6:30 and they were all roosting already!? Its not even dark out, though yes, the sun is going down..I have a timer in there to have the light come on at 4 am, as I do want eggs this winter..

Just wondering if I should try to prevent them from going to bed now? Seems really early! I leave the coop open so they can go lay or whatever. When I first got them, they werent going in there until around 8 pm and they have been here almost one month.

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My chickens do the same thing, i think it is instinct. They go in early i guess to be safe before the sun starts setting.

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

LOL, I know! I remember going out at 9:30 to close the doors! Now they are up by 7, 7:15. So depressing... I can't wait till spring when the days get longer. I am thinking I might do a timer thing, but not have it come on till 6 am or so, I don't mind not getting so many eggs, as we only eat about 12 a week... SO, no biggy. But come spring, I'd like to be able to sell them along with some produce...

4. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Mine went from 7:30 - 7:45 to 6:45 during the last week.

Curious to me...the flocks seem to aiming for "around" 7 in each time zone.......neat!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Mine were 8:30 then to 8 and now 7:30 but it's getting earlier...I only got 6 eggs today out of 9 hens...I am wondering if the shorter days is already getting to them or if it has anything to do with a broody hen in their favorite nest....LOL! We are going to put LED outdoor christmas lights in the coop this year. Ones that don't get hot so we don't have to worry about a fire.

6. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Good idea!

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    mine start heading in around 7pm and by 7:30 I can close the doors ..

8. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Well, I guess its the norm then! That is really interesting that by 7-7:30, all over, chickens are heading to bed haha It just seems so light out to me still but they were adamant tonight about bedtime.

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Ours to bed early, but we are on a ridge with a larger ridge just west of us, so it is dark earlier here than other places. Tonight at 7 there wasn't a sole in either run! Crazy . . . I do not like the shorter days except our kids are still too young to remember to look at clock and they are going to bed early too!

10. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Well, either the gray, wet weather this week is throwing my chickens off schedule or they're 'early birds'! [​IMG]

Ours were settled in their roosts by 6:45pm tonight. I mean settled. Not moving, no siree. Nothing I could offer them was enticing enough to get them down to the super scary floor! So, they'll find their grapes as a breakfast treat then!

Boo! Winter's a-comin'!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by