going to bed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AceOfSpadesJJ, Dec 8, 2012.

1. AceOfSpadesJJ

AceOfSpadesJJ Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    UK Colchester
    my new hens are fineout side and in the coop but when it gets dark they do not follow the other 7 hens in to the coop (6x4 shed) the coop is a foot off the ground the others just jump in were as the new ones dont and as it has been snowing im worrid they might die of the cold how do i get them to go to bed!!!!!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Keep all the chickens shut inside for several days until the learn to roost inside. Then when you do start letting them out, go out well before it starts to get dark and call them into the coop with treats, closing then in. They should learn quickly that it is best to go inside.

BTW, a 4x6 coop is big enough to keep 6 chickens comfortably - it may be crowded enough that they feel uncomfortable inside. How much perch space do you have?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. AceOfSpadesJJ

AceOfSpadesJJ Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    UK Colchester
    i have 3 perchs which i have already look up tht it is big anough and thx for the tips

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    What I mean is how many linear feet of roosts, not the number. Birds need at least 1 foot of roost space per bird. Also birds will tend to use only the highest roost at night, so if they are at different levels, the lower ones will not be utilized. Your new birds will not roost next to the established ones, at least not for a while, so it is good you have multiple perches.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by