Going to bite the bullet

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LilyD, Nov 12, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I think I am going to bite the bullet and process my two Buff Orp roos. They are only about 21 weeks old and I would have liked to wait until they were six months but they have started biting people when we go in the coop and harassing the hens. I want to free range everyone together and all the other roos and hens are so nice those two are just pains lately. So I am thinking that since work is light next week I am going to set up a processing station and just do the deed. I have watched twice and assisted once but this will be the first time with me doing the whole deed start to finish. Just hoping that I can do it and don't chicken out (no pun intended).

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Good Luck!! [​IMG]

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Thank you! I would be lying if I said that I really felt ready. I know that I have a sharp enough knife to do the actual deed. I have a folding white table that I can set up outside, disinfect and use for the actual processing. I just have to think a bit about how to do the scalding. I have some large canning pots that I can heat up inside on the stove and then bring out once they are hot enough. The birds aren't too big. Maybe 5 or 6 pounds each and most of that being dark meat. They are lean mean boys. My only other issue is to figure out where I can do the actual deed. I have a lot of trees but I want to pick an area where the neighbors can't see what I am doing because I don't want to offend them. I guess for me right now that is my biggest sticking point and it will take some thinking on my part. I am almost thinking I want to build something so I have it set up for whenever I need to process but I am not sure exactly what to do for that yet.

4. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    A woman on youtube just sits with the chicken lying in her lap, head hanging off her knees and then slices the the neck. I think for only 2 that could work for you. Good Luck

5. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Yeah I watched that a bunch of times and really thought it was a great way to do it. I do have a folding chair that I can use and tarps that I can put down to catch anything that falls so that might work. I will let you know how it goes. I have to wait until my son isn't here. He helped hatch out these two boys and so he said he would rather not be here. Once it's processed up and in the freezer he will be okay with it. He just can't see me do the deed. I am thinking that Thursday is going to be the best day since he is staying after school so I will have more time if necessary to finish up. Plus it will be warmer outside that day than the days before that.

I will post pictures after I have finished.

6. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    When scalding 2 - 3 hens, I boil a canning pot of water. This is poured into a five gallon bucket which is already half filled with hot tap water. Using a kitchen thermometer, when the large bucket has a temp of 140 degrees I'm ready to go. Reserving the remaining boiled water to used as needed. A bit of dish detergent is added to the water to better penetrate the feathers. 30-45 seconds is usually enough. Good Luck

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You'll do fine. The fact that the barnyard will be a more pleasant place with them gone is good incentive.

8. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I saw somewhere (blog? Here?) about someone who placed their chicken inside a killing cone which was tied up above a large garbage can (which was double-lined with black garbage bags). I believe the cone was nailed to a post inside their garage? So the chicken would bleed out into the garbage bag, all remains from processing also went into the bag. Tie it up, and out it goes. No fuss, little muss.

Hope this might give you a suggestion.

9. evenstargirl

evenstargirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    My husband and I butchered our first two roos earlier this summer. We did it on a weekend, and I was nervous the entire week leading up to it. I dreaded it. I looked up youtube videos and spent a lot of time browsing the web. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The roosters needed to go.

I may be more like you son.... From now on, I may have my husband do the butchering. I have had a really hard time eating the meat. In fact, it's still in my freezer. [​IMG]

10. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Life is Good! :

I saw somewhere (blog? Here?) about someone who placed their chicken inside a killing cone which was tied up above a large garbage can (which was double-lined with black garbage bags). I believe the cone was nailed to a post inside their garage? So the chicken would bleed out into the garbage bag, all remains from processing also went into the bag. Tie it up, and out it goes. No fuss, little muss.

Hope this might give you a suggestion.

I like that idea nice and tidy. The day is set for Thursday now I just need to get myself prepared for it​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by