going to build another bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jvls1942, Dec 12, 2008.

1. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    what I want is somebody who can help me out to:

find an auto turner that would fit into a standard sized upright freezer..

give me a good source for ACCURATE thermometers and hydrometers..

help me find some turning trays for a Jamesway 2940 bator..
    (even just one tray)

I have a source for the Little Giant solid state thermostats.. Is there a source for a better one??

the bator I plan to build should hold at least 300 eggs..

the key word here is "inexpensive"

thank you

.......jiminwisc........

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Did you do a google search for Jamesway Incubator? Several people have made turners by improvising with several methods. You might do a search on this board to get some ideas on making one that will work for you.

3. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I have searched for two years, off and on.. If I had one to copy, I could build a bunch of them.. but I have no clue what one even looks like.. that is why I equested, even one..

I have 3 of these Jamesways .. I guess each one holds eleven trays.

I have one up and running but I have to use hovabator egg turners on shelves that I built.. It works very well and I have hatched a lot of eggs this way..

I will try a google search.. I think I did one, but I did so many searches, I forgot..

..jiminwisc........

4. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I did the google search again..after doing it I realized that I had done it a couple of times before..

I would like to strike up a dialogue here with live bodies who have done it..

...........jiminwisc.........

5. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:How do I do a search on this board?
    all I find is Google..

where are these "several people" you referred to??

I will keep on trying to do searches

.........jiminwisc........

6. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Blue banner at the top of the page where it says Index User list Rules Search etc. That search button will allow you to search the board archives.
    db

7. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    If you are a good metal worker or know someone who is and will do a certain amount of welding and machining I could probably get you started. Iposted the following information on another thread several days ago.

The turning motor for a sportsman size incubator is Dayton .3 A 1 RPM #LR31482. For a larger incubator go up in size accordingly. You will also need a 1 RPH clock motor and these two microswitches W W Grainger #s 6X291 and 6X293. For the cam and arm for turning I usually machine it from steel solid stock. The length of the arm will depend on the width of the incubator trays. For the cam on the clock motor use phenolic or plastic, much easier to machine. Set the turning arm up with two set screws also because 2 or 3 hundred eggs are heavy and a single set screw will sometimes spin off the flat on the motor shaft

8. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:thank you..

Is that motor reversible?? are those two microswitches for reversing the motor direction?

Is a 1 hour cycle too much for the eggs or doesn't that matter??

Do I understand that your 1 RPH motor runs continuously?? First right, then left??

.........jiminwisc.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by