Going to build one!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lil'chickies, Apr 3, 2009.

1. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    Ok, so finally talked hubby into building an incubator and hatcher with me!! I've looked through all of them on the coop design page. We have decided to go with an old over/under fridge setup. I plan to use the bottom fridge part for the incubating and the top freezer part for hatching. That way I can have several different hatch dates and make it easier to keep clean!!

I have a question. You set the temps and humidity levels different for incubating and hatching right? I'm sure I will have more as we go along as well. This is just the first one. I'm making a list of what I need and planning it out. I guess the first thing I need is to go scope out a unit!! Post a pic when I find the right one.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I got a freshly built on that I'll sell you for next to nuthin... LOL

3. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    It didn't work for you?? I would take it too, but I doubt you are anywhere close to where I live!!

4. Poulets De Cajun

Eh... It works, but I'm in too much of a hurry to fine tune it. I'll work on it later I suppose.

I'm in Fort Worth. [​IMG]

5. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I kinda thought that's what you meant by Cowtown. That's a long ways from home for me. Any advice for a beginner??

6. Poulets De Cajun

Buy one... LOL Seriously! You'll spend just as much money building one... as I've recently found out. $40 for materials for a hatcher and I went and bought a hovabator today for the same price... LOL

I'm going to fiddle and fine tune the one I built over the next week, but I needed something NOW to put day 18 eggs in tonight.

7. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    Just a plain hovabator? There are so many options and types, I didn't know what to pick. I could use that to convince hubby though... [​IMG]

Maybe I'll buy one and then build a bigger one later. No way to afford one of the big ones any time soon. That's why I wanted to build one. I like the cabinet style ones, but they are extremely expensive. Hubby would completely flip out!!

8. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    We built one and are on day 9. We set 9 eggs and 6 are alive and growing well. 3 were discarded and I'm not sure they were fertile, they hadn't begun to grow at all.

I have my fingers crossed for the six. I've had a little bit more fluctuation in temp than I'd like, but nothing drastic and everything is going well.

It was easy to build, we only spent 30 bucks, and half that was on the digital thermometer that I would have bought for the kitchen eventually anyhow.

9. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I think I am going to try building it. I really want a cabinet style, and probably won't be able to buy one for a while. So I am going to find me a fridge/freezer combo at our recycling place. We've already decided how to put in windows in the doors. I'm also thinking of using two wafer thermostats and two heat lamps to make sure we get even heating. I don't know if anyone has used the infrared lights, but I really like them. They put out even heat it seems to me. Still working out the details, so we will see. First the recycling center in the morning for my basic unit!! I know I can make the style I like cheaper than buying one. We'll see what I end up with!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by