Going to college...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MVchickens, Jan 27, 2012.

1. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    So next fall I will be attending the University of New Hampshire for Environmental Engineering. Unfortunately that means I will be three hours and a boat ride away away from home. So now the question is what do I do with my flock of 17 chickens and 5 ducks? Are there people that want to take a whole flock or do most of you guys split them up to sell them or give them away? How have you guys re-homed your flocks? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Try to sell on Craigslist. In your ad say will sell as 1 group only. You might have to split up your ducks and chickens as most people do not want ducks. Look in the Farm and Garden section and see how much a chicken and duck goes for. Chickens and ducks around here are between $10-$15 Each.

If you choose to give them away. Make sure the person or people that you give them to do not turn around and sell them. This is more common than you think. I personally would try to sell all of the chickens to a family or person as a package. Then sell the ducks to someone else. Congrats on going to college!

Nate

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck!

When I went to Undergrad, I downsized from 25+ birds to just 10 or so. Used CL to sell the younger ones and ate the rest. At that time, I found most wanted to just pick and chose the few they wanted.

4. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

This is quite the same situation I am in. Except I am joining the Navy and leave in March. Still debating whether to get rid of the flock or have my family care for them. It is quite the dilemma, I wish you luck with yours. And yes, craigslist seems the best.

5. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Thanks for the info. I will probably end up putting them on craigslist. I hope to find a nice family looking to start out with chickens. Or maybe a place to keep them up in Durham. And WalkerH, good luck. I will be in the USAF ROTC program while at school.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  6. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    I've had some good luck with lsn! Congrats to both of you and thank you for your service!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by