Going to coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stormrobin, Apr 9, 2017.

1. stormrobin

stormrobin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2017
    Idaho
    When can chicks move into their coop permanently? I have eighteen chicks and eight of them are barred rocks and one road island red that are between 5-6 weeks old. They are the oldest. I think they are getting cramped in their brooder. I've noticed some feathers from the br chicks. Nobody seems injured though. [​IMG]

2. chameleon

chameleon Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the temperature like in your area at night? From your photo they seem fully feathered so they should be fine. I have Koekoeks, very similar to barred rocks, and New hampshires. They're 7 weeks old now and they've been in the coop without heat for a few weeks already. I don't have experience with raising chicks in extreme cold, but if you're worried and it is very cold in your area you could put a heating pad in the coop for a week or two while they acclimate. But I would say they're definitely ready to go outside, and they will be happier.

3. Jiffyrocks

Jiffyrocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY
    Ya, as long as it isn't too cold (below 40°F) outside at night j think your chickens will do just fine. I put mine out at around 5 weeks because they were also getting to big for the box and they are doing great. Only took them two nights to learn that this was their new home and now they put themselves to bed every night (I let them free range).

4. stormrobin

Mar 1, 2017
    Idaho
    Well I just got snow last night after I thought it was all done. Just a little and it's melted now. So would I still be fine if I gave them a heating pad or lamp until I'm sure I won't have any freak weather lol. The coop is sealed so no drafts but it is not insulated. :) But before last night the night time temp has been hanging around forty.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  5. chameleon

chameleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, they'll definitely be fine with a heating pad or lamp. Just make sure it's set up in a way that it can't accidentally catch fire. As long as the coop is draught free they'll do great, they don't need insulation, their feathers do a very good job of that.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    At that age they DO NOT need a heating pad. They should be fully weaned from all heat and able to handle outside temps by the time they are 4 - 5 weeks old. Hopefully, they are off heat now, and you've been putting them outside during the day for a few days. My chicks self wean from their HP brooder by the time they are 4 weeks old. They are brooded in coop where night time temps often down to 30's to 40's.

7. ColoRockies

ColoRockies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2017

What's your thoughts on my red rangers. They have been indoors without heat since they were 2 weeks old. At four weeks I put them in their coop outdoors with nighttime temps around 30 deg. Day 2 and no issues. We may have one night this week at 20 but 35-40 otherwise. We do not want to use a heat lamp outside and their coop is roofed and blocked by wind. We have 12 chicks

8. stormrobin

Mar 1, 2017
    Idaho

I do still have a heat lamp because I have some other chicks with them that are around two ish weeks old but the older birds don't spend time under the lamp. Their brooder is a 4x8 feet box I built and the light is only at one end. And they have gone out to their coop for day trips when the weather wasn't really nasty. And they seem to do good. Very curious and investigate everything. :) From the sounds of it four of my older EEs can go out too. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by