Going to cross a red sex link to a RIR rooster!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Don Jr, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Don Jr

Don Jr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumrall,ms
    Could they be sexed at hatching?

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To get more redsexlinks you have to cross a gold roo on a silver gene hen. The results of the Sexlink X RIR cross should give chicks (or both sexes) that some should be RIR colored, some should be the color of the Sexlink hens, and some could be nearly solid white, and maybe one or two other mixed colors could come out but the hens and roos could be any of these colors and will NOT be sexable by color as chicks.

3. Don Jr

Aug 9, 2009
    sumrall,ms
    Thank you.

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I hatched a pair using a Buff Orp roo over a red sex link hen. Both chicks were solid buff as chicks, the male as an adult now has a black tail. Very nice pair, the female lays really well and the male is very sweet. So it's not a bad match but they won't be sexable. [​IMG]

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes ella, that is to be expected, you could have also gotten some with white tails from that cross.

And Don Jr. your cross should be great lavers too.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  6. Don Jr

Aug 9, 2009
    sumrall,ms
    I sure hope so. I have mutts, red links, and a RIR roo. Ifigured the red links and the rir roo would be my best shot.

7. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i have hatched a bunch of chicks from red sex link hens and rhode island roosters. some grow up to look like rhode island reds and the others look like red sex links. the hens lay super large eggs, regardless of color...............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by