Going to Cry :(

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CatsCrazyCoop, Aug 1, 2011.

1. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    So, I wanted to BUY a chicken coop - but NO. My dad insisted on doing it himself, in the height of the summer and he isn't 20 anymore nor in the best shape. He tends to get fed up with projects fairly quickly and then half-butt it the rest of the way.

We hit half butt by about day 3.

Everything I asked for in the coop, he didn't do. He knows NOTHING about Chickens yet insists he does. I dragged branches from the very back of my 1 1/4 acre property that I scoured through (and my neighbors prop) that were perfet for my coop and he is mounting them crappy and not at all how I envisioned.

I hate my coop, and I am broke now, so I couldn't even HIRE someone to help me fix.

I am so sad.
    Thanks for letting me vent.
    Going to go cry now.

2. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    ok...can't be that bad! I looked at pics you have on your page...was that before day 3?? b/c they look good to me! lol I'm sure your chickens will love it no matter what!!! [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

First... [​IMG]
    Second, as long as it's predator proof with decent ventilation, the chickens won't care how it looks [​IMG]
    Borrow a few tools from your dad (drill/screwdriver, jigsaw if you need one), and make a few adjustments yourself. Lots of us women on here have built their own coops - some "half-butted" and some truly inspirational (just like the mens...lol). You do what you can do. [​IMG] And the next time you want something, just get it - don't ask your dad...lol. We've all been there...[​IMG]

4. CatsCrazyCoop

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  5. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    [​IMG]

6. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I agree. It may not be as bad as you think, but it is also ok to have a little expectation of what you want on your property for your own flock. I'm sure your dad meant well. My husband is kind of the same way, but I am fortunate that he is a great carpenter and always does it his own way, but it actually comes out even better than what I expected. When your dad finally does finish with the main structure, do a nice paint job and add some finishing touches of your own to try to make it more to your likeing. It's ok to vent. I know how you feel, I got jumped all over on another thread and I get my feelings hurt easy and need to vent too. We will cry together![​IMG]

7. CatsCrazyCoop

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Between my husband and my dad - forget it. They think I am too stupid to use a power tool.

I had asked for a chainsaw...

...I am trying to get my dad to just go away. He did the structural part of it, just let me do the rest. He has my beautiful branches all chopped up (did I mention how HEAVY they were?) and is putting them all like 6" off the ground.

WAAAAA

If I can just get everyone to leave me alone, I can slowly try and get it how I want it. Just so annoying. Men are so stubborn and stupid. (Sorry other men out there... I really mean just my husband and father)

And he is tying my wood together with wire... [​IMG] I promised my girls a palace. I just wish people wouldn't interfere sometimes. I didn't ask, yknow? I mean I appreciate all the hard work he put into it... but I hate when people have the mind frame that they are doing ME the favor so they can do it whatever way they want.

I probably sound like an ungrateful spoiled brat. Im really not. [​IMG]

8. CatsCrazyCoop

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]

9. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    No body is stupid. You may have to learn how to use some things but it ain't all that hard men can do it so can we ( women ). [​IMG] I have used power tools most of my life you just have to be careful with what you are doing . The coop looks pretty good from what I saw. [​IMG] Your chicks are still little the brooder will be fine til you get things the way you want them. No need stressing ocd is no fun but what I learned it's just a coop & no use ruining relationships over. [​IMG] We women usually end up going back & making things the way we want anyway. Frustrates my ole man somtimes [​IMG] but he has learned that is the way I am. It will be great when it is done your chickens will love it . [​IMG]

10. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    " Men are so stubborn and stupid. "

HEY, HEY, HEY....[​IMG]....ok, we are hehehehe [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by