Going to drain my girl need specific directions/ advice please Tkyou

winekntrychicks

Pooper Peeper
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Sebastopol, CA
Edit: since posting this original post I have concluded my girl has egg periontitis. I would like to give her some relief so I will attempt to drain her. I know this will not fix the problem but will ease her discomfort. Please help with specific directions for doing. Thank you.

My 2 year old Silkie is having what I think is egg bound. She has the penguin walk and looks like she is straining. I sat her in a warm bath for 30 min and massaged. Made her a warm humid heat pack out if a wash cloth in a zip lock bag. She did not protest to any of this. Went to the moisture pack and sat on it. She is eating and drinking. Is unstable on her feet and steadies her self with wing. Laying on her tummy leaning to the right. She is pooing and urites are seeping out. If I Pick her up you can hear them squirt out. I was going to do the glove lube finger maneuver but upon examination for the correct tube opening is obstructed by pink moist membrane. So what is wrong with her and why am I seeing this membrane and no exit???

Last edited:
Oh, I wish I could offer suggestions or advice - unfortunately, all I have is sympathy!
hugs.gif
I hope someone knowledgeable sees this and can offer some help!
Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!

She might be egg bound, which you were treating for. There's also something called water belly that you can do a search on here for...there are some pretty graphic pictures but it might help as well. Wish I could be of more help...

I would advise giving her calcium ASAP. Add a TUMS tablet to her water, calcium rich foods (Greek yogurt, buttermilk, etc) even sprinkle her pulverized eggshell on her foods. If you have the money visit your vet and ask for an anti inflammatory, maybe Metacam. Metacam is also a pain reliever so it will help her feel better and hopefully push out that egg more easily.

As for the penguin walk, she may be an internal layer...seach for SpeckledHen's posts about Internal laying, she holds great wisdom.

Look at the ascites posting (current on this forum right now). Does it sound like that? You may need to drain her!

One of my hens was like that. I took a HUGE syringe and drained her. It did take several times to get alot of it out of her, but she is alive & kicking now.
Jan

Did the glove finger maneuver could not feel an egg. Her abdomen feels full and tight. Larger one the left side. I did come across speckled hens posting about internal layers and another one one ascites ( water belly ) how am I supposed to know. I have observed her going to the corner like she wants to lay putting pine shavings on her back; then no egg. How do I drain her? Thanks.

Search ascites. There are several posts about draining them. Doesn't sound difficult...just ewy and scary!

Back
Top Bottom