Going to electrify me some squirrel

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Darklingstorm, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Wednesday I noticed that the "normally lasts a week" food container I place outside for the chickens was empty. I thought that maybe the chickens got really hungry, so I fill it up again. Go out late yesterday evening and it was almost empty again but this time I caught two squirrels making a mad dash up the tree. I don't mind sharing with the wildlife but I can't afford that much food. We are not talking a small container.

So tonight with DH help we are going to put an electric wire around the tree. Don't worry we will use the proper equipment so the tree doesn't catch fire. I sure hope this works because I don't want them in my coop eating the chickens feed in there too (which I think they already have).

If this fails to deter them, any suggestions on how to get rid of them? Live in town so no guns and no poisons.

2. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    do you have dogs?

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Powdered red pepper.

Fill the feeder then dust the top and any place else where the feed is exposed with the ground red pepper. The chickens do not feel the heat, but the squirrels do.

It has to be repeated from time to time. Every day for the first week or so, but they begin to get the message.

4. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    A.T. Hagan :

Powdered red pepper.

Fill the feeder then dust the top and any place else where the feed is exposed with the ground red pepper. The chickens do not feel the heat, but the squirrels do.

It has to be repeated from time to time. Every day for the first week or so, but they begin to get the message.

I like you idea better, will try it instead.
    Oh and I do have dogs but one has already killed a chicken (soon to be re-homed) and the other won't intentionally hurt them but wants to play with them, so I don't let her out with them unless I'm out there too.​

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They will learn to avoid the wire.

I'd attach a rat trap to the tree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by