Going to get a Rooster What to look for?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenphile, Jun 30, 2008.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Someone locally has some chickens for sale. They are unsure of the sex and breed? Is there an easy way to tell at least the sex of the birds? Also what are some tips on what to look for so I get a healthy, good mannered bird for my ladies:D
    thanks
    Chris

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    All depends on the breed if it is easy to tell the sex if they are chicks. If they are older then it will be easier.

Do you know the age?
    Can you go get pics and post them here and people can help you?

3. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    I was told they are mixed breed the rooster seems to be a black austalop based on the desciption given. The hens are buff orph, RIR, and americana. I have asked the seller for pictures of the birds but she said she can't. They are 2-6 weeks old. Any ideas?

thanks
    Chris

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Where they are mixed it would be hard to tell which traits they get. Like with Ameracuana the Roo will have a wider rose comb and beard and the pullets will have a single comb.
    Where it is mixed it may have that comb but also with wattles which could come from the other breed it is mixed with.

If they are closer to 6 weeks you should be able to tell by the males will have a red or more pink comb then the girls. They will also be developing redish wattles.

Maybe you could go take pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by