Going to get my ganders some valentines love, but which breed for them?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cdnley, Feb 14, 2012.

1. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Hello again,

I have taken your suggestions of getting my lonely males some female company (as they were attempting to mate with my duck). I have 2 males, na embden and a tuffted buff. I assume the tuffted buff is a male as it does not get mated nor mate with any of them. I assume he is male because of his size (huge) and his attitude. fs there one dominant male goose out of 2 who gets his pick of the females? Would the other one just back off or would they be fighting over the ducks?

My second question is what female breed for them? I have my choice of toulouse, embden and white chinese. I love the look of the white chinese but I am not sure if that would be a good choice as a mate? I am new (less than a year) of having geese so I am still learning. I could care less about them having a mixed breed baby etc. I just want them to be happy with their partners and leave my poor ducks alone.

My third question is if I introduce these females (they are about 2 yrs old) to my flock what is going to happen? An enormous fight, instant love? I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Thanks so much!! I appreciate any suggestions!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009

3. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks Kevin565. I hope that they will establish a pecking order without too much feather loss. I hate having them penned up when introducing new ones but without any open water they are targets for predators.

Thanks!

4. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    They will be all out of sorts for day one, lots of hissing and bowing I imagine, but after that all should be well. I have two 2 year old geese for sale if you are nearby!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by