Going to get my wisdom teeth out.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by LittleChickenLady, Sep 9, 2011.

1. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    On Tuesday afternoon.
    I'm starting to make myself sick worrying about it..

I mean, it can't be that bad.

..right?..
    [​IMG]

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nah it's not too bad. I have mine taken out a few years ago. The worst pain I felt from the whole thing was the pressure from the drain but it wasn't that bad. It mostly feels like a sinus headache in your jaw if you can understand what I mean there LoL It's just a lot of pressure but no actual pain. You'll look worse than you'll feel. Just a tip: Apply lots of ice for about the first week. There will be a lot less bruising on your cheeks if you actually use the ice very often.
    Good luck. I hope you heal fast.

3. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I had mine taken out - i was terrified. Wasnt that bad! And a few days of KFC mashed potatoes for supper didnt hurt either!

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Women get by fine, men seem to think it's the end of the world. I had mine done a few years ago, one tooth, the root was so twisted up, the dentist had to break in pieces to get it out. I went back to work right afterward, and every time I bent down, I started bleeding. My boss sent me home, but I felt fine...

5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    just a word of advice. Take the pain meds as soon as you can, even while you are still numb. Go home after surgery, get something on your stomach (this is important) and take your pain meds. Don't wait until the pain sets in. Trust me on this, my oldest didn't believe me, and refused my advice. He was quite sorry later. You'll do fine, soft food is great-ice cream, mashed potatoes, yogurt, smoothies. All the good stuff for a few days. [​IMG]

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I had them knock me out- being a coward- best $400 ever.

7. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Oh yeah, I'm definitely being knocked out. There's no way they could stick a needle in my mouth while I'm awake. [​IMG]
    They're cutting out two and pulling one.
    Good thing is I've got the rest of the week off at one of my jobs, and I go back Saturday to the other.

I'm just terrified that they'll have problems and completely mess up my jaw because of it.

I know.. I'm a big baby.
    [​IMG]

8. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:they used a SAW (bone saw) on me and the whole thing still went perfect- I had internal dissolving stitches and one set normal that had to be removed two weeks later - actully I've never heard of an oral surgeon messing up someones jaw- so I figures the chance is slim.

As I recall the worst thing that can happen is slight damage to the rear of the adjacent tooth.

But call the office if you are that worried and get someone to talk to you about it.

9. hilareee

hilareee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    santa cruz, ca
    i had mine all out at 19. they were impacted and had to be broken in pieces to get them out. i think the worst pain i had was from running face-first into the door jamb on the way out to the parking lot because i was still out of it and refused help from my mom. i had some swelling, but i took my percocet as prescribed for a week. i was eating a deli sandwich 3 days after surgery.

i wish you luck!

h

10. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    I know this may sound totally crazy, but it totally works! Go get some pineapple and start eating pineapple, fresh is better in my opinion, but canned works just fine.

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!! This works so well you may think you don't need the work done anymore - but get it done anyway, this isn't a permanent fix.

I had to have a root canal done last December. They couldn't fit me in for a couple of days so my dentist wrote me a prescription for pain meds. When I filled the prescription, the pharmacy clerk said to eat some pineapple the night before the procedure, it would help. She said she didn't know why it worked, but trust her it works. So, I like pineapple anyway, so what could it hurt? The pain meds put a dent in the pain, but not for long. I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours. The throbbing got worse and my head felt like it was going to explode. The night before, I opened the can of pineapple my DH bought me, and started to eat. Within 5 minutes, I could feel the swelling go down and the pain decreased dramatically. I felt so good the next day, I even thought about cancelling the root canal, but thought better of it and went anyway. I needed no more pain meds even after the root canal and was back to work the following night. My only regret is not eating it sooner.

As I did research to find out why it worked, I found out that pineapple contains an enzyne, Bromelain, that is a natural anti-inflammatory. One of the websites suggested starting to eat the pineapple three days before the procedure.

My prayers go with you and I hope you have a blessed day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by