Going to get some more chicks! Roo suggestions and more....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am going to get a couple more chicks this spring! Including a rooster! [​IMG] Do you have breed suggestions for the roo? I need him to be friendly, and relatively quiet. A couple crows in the morning and throughout the day would be fine. I'm thinking of my family, because I wouldn't mind a roosters that crowed. :p I am think maybe a salmon faverolle. (sp?) also, I want to get a silkie! I don't know if I'm right for one though...here in IA, its c-o-l-d in the winter and h-o-t in the summer. They would be with other full size chickens. what else is different about silkies? Oh, any hatchery suggestions, near north IA?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I would recommend Brahmas for your rooster. Light, buff or dark coloring, so you get some selection there! I had a light brahma cockerel but had to rehome him as I live in city limits. He was BIG and while he got 'chatty' he didn't try and rip out crows all the time. He also started dancing for the ladies at about nine weeks. :lol: Utterly adorable. :)

3. seramachick8

seramachick8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    North Texas
    I must recommend a Cream Legbar rooster :) I've raised several and the oldest new are 4.5 months and crowing but they have never been aggressive. They just on my arms and shoulders when I go in their cage and could peck at your shoes for hours! The silkie may end up getting picked on or being lonely if you only have one. They are very shy sweet birds and I've noticed they tend to like being around their own kind or at least their own size. :) Silkies can also be a little bit sensitive to the temperature and are not the most hardy bird. They are definitely so fun to have though! With a place to get away from wind in the winter and a fan or shade in the summer, they should be fine.

4. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Yay! I really want a silkie. I could probably get 2 silkies, if that would help. I also have some chickens that are on the smaller side, so they would probably hang out together. :D

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Too bad you aren't in CO. I have two Silkie boys *i think* that need new homes.

6. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to agree with the Cream Legbar Roo. Mine is mixed, but looks mostly Legbar. I absolutely love him. He is a crower, but makes up for it in personality. EE's are very good roo's too. I would NEVER have another RIR!!
    I too wanted Silkies so badly, got them and realized they aren't for me. They can't free range, and are much more maintenance than my others. They would be good for someone who can cater to them a little more than I can. I do love mine, but won't be getting anymore.

7. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    My cream legbar roo is VERY LOUD. I would not put I'm in the non crowing category. But all roos are different. If you have bantams i would stick with a bantam or small breed rooster so you are not worried about him hurting your smaller girls.

Some silkie roos are quiet, but if you have a mixed flock, I would suggest getting on that does not have a domed scull. Getting pecked there can hurt silkies and it makes those that have it hard to integrate with other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by