10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Project My Bantys Are Growing is in effect!

My actual question... Do you think if I got OSB and painted it with hunter green exterior paint, will it be okay. It's not a lot of coop to paint, it will be smallerish... ish.

I don't think the OSB would hold up very long, even with a good quality paint. Any moisture would cause it to swell and fall apart.

I wonder how hardy board would do? It's a concrete/Fiber board. Looks good and should last forever.

Buying OSB is a bargain! You but 7/16" and in one year it's an Inch thick...now that's multiplication son...
A picture tell's it all, can't wait to see them.
Happy Hatch'en Folks

OSB board won't hold up as well as plywood. OTOH it will not fall apart immediately, especially if painted well and the edges protected from leaks and damp and such.

So in part it depends how long you want this thing to last. With good design and good painting and good maintenance I'd expect OSB to give you 6-8 years minimum, could be a lot more in some circumstances.

I wouldn't do it myself -- I was raised to build things so that they will still be available for archaeologists to unearth in the year 4000. However even though it goes against my upbringing I do at least *logically* recognize that not every situation requires this sort of construction
tongue.png

Pat

Quote:
You and I would get along well Pat. The siding on my barn is ship lapped 2x6's on a 6x6 frame with 2x6 up rights. Building Inspector ask me If I planned to launch a rocket off the roof?

I said maybe.

Back
Top Bottom