Going to hatch ducklings need some tips.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crazy4cochins, May 17, 2010.

1. Crazy4cochins

Crazy4cochins Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    NW MO
    ok so I have the incubator running , it's been on for a few hours, so I am needing some tips
    I am using a Little Giant still air incubator.I have pekin and possibly pekin-runner mix eggs to go in tonight.
    I have looked online and some people say 99.5 degrees but the humidity is confusing. I have no way to measure it, it has 3 channels in the bottom to put water.The middle one is larger and the two-on the sides are smaller.
    Should I wash the eggs off first??

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

No don't wash them. The bloom that is on the eggs keeps bacteria out. You NEED to have a humidity gauge (hygrometer) - go to wal mart or pet smart and grab one. Calibrate it first so you know your humidity is right.

To calibrate: Put 1/2 cup of salt and 1/4 cup of water in a small coffee cup, place it in a large baggie. Place the hygrometer next to it and seal the baggie. Wait 12 hours - it should read 75% but probably won't. You can adjust your humidity from there. Ducks should be about 50-60% - they need higher humidity.

3. Crazy4cochins

Crazy4cochins Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    NW MO
    Thanks, is the hygrometer in the hardware section at walmart??
    I don't know how to regulate the humity since it has 3 wells to pour water in . will it hurt if I just fill all 3 full?? I am probably not going to do it but I am just curious if that's why theres 3 .
    I got my temp to stay at 99.5-99.7ish for about 3 hours now should I leave it on all night to see if it's that temp the same in the morning ?

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You will need all three at lockdown, as ducks need to be at around 80% - that is why they are there. I would fill the middle one and wait the 6 hours, then fill more if needed.

You can find a hygrometer, probably combined with a thermometer, just about any place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by